Veteran Summerside cop charged with impaired driving and refusing the breathalyzer

Stephen Brun

Summerside Police Services

SUMMERSIDE – Summerside city police have charged one of their own members, a 22-year veteran of the force, with impaired driving and refusing the breathalyzer.

Cpl. David Murphy is scheduled to appear in Summerside provincial court on Dec. 13 to answer to the charges, which stem from a two-vehicle collision on Nov. 5.

Police were called to the scene of the crash, at the corner of Central Street and Pope Road, at 1:30 p.m. There was extensive damage to both vehicles.

A Summerside woman was taken to Prince County Hospital in Summerside and later released.

An off-duty city police officer was taken into custody at the time.

The RCMP were called in to assist, which is customary when an investigation involves a member of the force.

Summerside Police Services has also launched an internal code of conduct investigation into the matter.

Murphy has been on extended leave from the force for the past 11 months, where he will remain while the matter is before the courts.

“Summerside Police Services would like to ensure the public that our members take road safety and impaired driving very seriously,” said deputy chief Sinclair Walker in a news release.

“I would like to commend our officers on their professionalism in dealing with this investigation. We would also like to thank the RCMP for their assistance in investigating the accident.”

Organizations: RCMP, Summerside Police Services

Geographic location: Summerside, Central Street

Comments

Comments

• Practical Question
    November 15, 2012 - 09:21

Not that I ever intend to drink and drive (again) but I've noticed that every time a cop or an authority figure gets nabbed, they refuse the breathalyzer. So, what do they know that us poor idiots driving home from the Legion (or the wharf, curling club, pub, local club, bar, liquor lounge, road house, tap room, sorority house . . . RCMP lounge, etc.) don't know? Really, what's the legal difference from blowing over and refusing to blow? That question asked, I think we all know the moral difference - so do not drink and drive!

• HAPPENS EVERYWHERE
    November 14, 2012 - 20:56

This happens EVERYWHERE especially in Alberta, PEI is not the only place. Problem is that if people are going to drink they need to take responsibility for their lives and the lives of others. I won't let anyone leave my place when drinking and there is always arrangements that can be made. So sad that a person who sees the results of drinking and driving on a daily basis is also stupid.

• jimbob
    November 14, 2012 - 19:48

Yes that's the solution to the problem eh! Insult those that voice their opinion. Let's face it impaired driving and what it causes is not acceptable no matter where you live. I do think the majority of Islanders think the same as you, "from away" As far as this Islander is concerned you are welcome in our province and your opinions are welcome also..

• Really upset Taxpayer
    November 14, 2012 - 19:30

Why is professionalism mentioned here by Deputy Chief Walker, would that not be strandard procedure in any Impaired Driving case. One case that noone has forgotten is the the Ford case of home invasion, than Sgt Walker and other members of Summerside Police were exposed by Judge Lantz for their evasive testimony and conduct, prior to the case being dismissed. What did the Chief of Police do about that?

• oh Rose I must insert comment here
    November 14, 2012 - 17:59

Rose - Sticks and Stones....seriously do better than that...like maybe be a little disgusted about the issue, rather than how disgust is displayed from other points of view. Really, I get what From Away is saying...DUI is bad here!!! First step is admitting the problem!

• Glen from North York
    November 14, 2012 - 17:49

Not surprising on the Island or else where,,, Police do charge themselves unless there are others involved!!!

• SUMMERSIDE RESIDENT
    November 14, 2012 - 17:28

The decision this Police Officer made is 100% wrong, Police Officers above everyone else are to set an example, they are NOT above the law. Having said that let the Courts deal with this, if in fact the Police Officer requires treatment than so be it, his sentence should be no less than anyone else. I do believe the driver of the other vehicle was injured and I wish her full recovery, this situation could have been much worse. I do feel for this mans family, only he knows what braught this situation to this end, that is something he will have to live with.

• wayne weeks
    November 14, 2012 - 17:25

If you think you can say anything against the police..it won't get printed. that's part of the problem and what the police rely on.

• Meggy
    November 14, 2012 - 16:31

This is just a normal thing on P. E. I. ........ COPS......are no exception...... P. E. I. Has the LARGEST amount of drunk drivers per capita in Canada..... very, very sad........... There is NO CONSIDERATION for families that loose a loved one to a drunk driver. (EXAMPLE THE LADY KILLED THIS PAST SUMMER FROM ALBERTA) I can only imagine the sadness in that home come Christmas time.

• couldn't agree more
      November 14, 2012 - 17:34

The amount of drunk driving going on here is astonishing in this day and age. Why is it not socially unacceptable? What is wrong with people that they don't think it's a serious crime?

• Rose
    November 14, 2012 - 13:59

Well "Mr. FROM AWAY" If you are disgusted here maybe you should move away. I'm sure that PEI will survive without you.

• to rose
      November 14, 2012 - 17:30

Are you really saying what you imply? That impaired driving is OK?? BTW, if all the CFA's did go away, the Island would be in a worse mess than it is now.

• From Away
      November 14, 2012 - 17:46

I didn't say the Island disgusts me, I said the amount of drunk drivers disgusts me. This is a wonderful place to live, and would be even better with out the idiots that drive drunk.

• To Rose
      November 14, 2012 - 18:59

I don' t think they were being rude, they were being honest. For the smallest province in Canada we have one of the highest rates of impaired drivers . This officer is setting a bad example as he should have been someone we could trust. Our judicial system needs to hand out maximum sentences to all offenders. Enough have died at the decision of others. As Islanders we should be ashamed, maybe its us who should be moving.

• From Away
    November 14, 2012 - 12:08

Why does this not surprise me! Being "from away" this is one of the things that disgust me here. Everyone one seems to do it! It does happen everywhere but living in 3 other provinces it is really bad here.