Protesters set up camp near “Plan B” site

Mitch MacDonald

Individuals protesting the controversial "Plan B" highway realignment project blow up balloons and hand out stickers during a rally in front of the Windsor Motel & Lodge Saturday. Guardian photo

NEW HAVEN - Protesters of the Plan B highway realignment say they are setting up camp in a private woodlot near the work site in order to continue monitoring the project.

More than 100 protesters gathered at the Windsor Motel & Lodge in New Haven Saturday to continue voicing their opposition against the multi-million dollar realignment.

The group was originally going to meet at the parking lot of a former amusement park in the area, but it had been barricaded off before they arrived Saturday morning.

“We have a government who’s making a series of incredibly bad choices,” said organizer Chris Ortenburger at the rally.

The protest saw several speeches in front of the motel before walking down to the amusement park. The group later went up Peters Road to a piece of privately-owned property where some members of the group will be setting up camp.

“It’s private property,” said Ortenburger. “So there’s not an issue with being asked to move.”

Saturday was the third consecutive day that protesters were around the site. Thursday and Friday both saw RCMP order a work stoppage when protestors got too close to heavy machinery and caused safety concerns.

Fences were then put along the area to keep protestors out of the site.

RCMP were also in the area Saturday, although no heavy machinery was being operated.

The project, which is being cost-shared through the provincial and federal governments, has seen much criticism since being announced earlier this year.

A key criticism of the project was the price tag, which was originally said to be $16 million shared between both levels of government. However, the province announced shortly before work began that it had already spent approximately another $4 million to acquire the land.

More on this story as it develops

Organizations: Windsor Motel Lodge, RCMP

Geographic location: NEW HAVEN, Peters Road

Comments

Comments

• ILS
    October 08, 2012 - 16:02

I'm beyond caring about this issue, not because I think the realignment should go forward, but because we've been bombarded with it in the media AD NAUSEAM for what seems like an eternity; however, I'd just like to take this opportunity to suggest a few names for the newest phase of the protest: - Occupy Plan B - Occupy Bonshaw - Occupy Churchill - Occupy New Haven (Personally, I think the first one stands the most chance of catching on)

• observer
    October 08, 2012 - 15:54

The reasons for building this road have little or nothing to do with safety. If that were the case why was the speed limit recently increased and why oh why were we not being warned for years about the dangers of this road? I have driven it in every kind of weather for years, in a car and in a truck, with no concerns. Further, I have never seen an accident on this stretch of road. The real reasons for the push are not being made public because they are connected to patronage and such dark matters. It seems that government propaganda has convinced some of the Island brain trust. (some of who post on here on a regular basis and with a variety of aliases) I totally support the protestors. When I can take my holidays I will be joining them. It may not change anything but at least we will have tried. It is time to change the values of our society.

• SG
    October 08, 2012 - 14:04

RANDAL: You stated: "SAVE LIVES - - SUPPORT PLAN B!" If this TCH is so dangerous why hasn't the Stastic Report re: Accidents & Fatalities been made public? How many Accidents/Fatalities have taken place on this TCH? Why haven't the numbers been made public? Wouldn't such a Report/Stastics be relevant to this project?

• VOTER
    October 08, 2012 - 11:24

go ahead -- be sucked in -- GHIZ wants you to protest and protest loudly --while he fuels the smoke screen plan B is providing, GHIZ AND HIS GROUPIES ARE LAUGHING and QUIETLY counting how how he'll get for prostituting the ISLAND by agreeing to have the HST screw all ISLANDERS-- YES--ROBERT GHIZ --when you sell part of yourself for money , it's called PROSTITUTION

• Yes We Need To Protect Our Environment
    October 08, 2012 - 10:26

The TCH can be repaved, straightened, widened. Our Precious Environment can't be Replaced once destroyed. I can't understand why some people want to "Pave Paradise to Put Up a TCH" that is not needed. This project will affect the Natural Habitant that exists in this area. Trees that are being cut down ie: the Hemlock stands can't be replaced. The trees, wildlife, bird populations that were once extinct all contribute to this Natural Environment. The noise, air bornes and toxic fumes will displace or destroy the wildlife and natural environment that presently exists in this area.

• Less carbon footprint
      October 08, 2012 - 11:27

Lives cannot be replaced. Safer, less brake dust and exhaust. Who has ever done a study? The Binns government. Sounds to me that there is another motive behind this protest......I`m an Islander I can see it! Yet despite me saying that, Ghiz will never get my vote, sorry Valerie.

• YES WE NEED A BETTER TCH
    October 07, 2012 - 22:17

tons and tons of salt in the winter and the dial gets turned up on that section of hwy.

• Randal
      October 08, 2012 - 09:42

The protestors do not speak for me. I drive this stretch of highway every work day, morning and night. In the summer, it's not so bad, but the winters on the Strathgartney hill are downright dangerous. The protestors say they represent the majority of Islanders, it's funny then that most of the people in my workplace are either for the construction or don't care either way. So please don't pretend to speak for the "majority" of Islanders. Another point I'd like to make is that this is the Trans-Canada Highway, not a cow path. Every other province has twinned their TCH or are in the process of doing so. We as a province should be ashamed of our TCH... SAVE LIVES - - SUPPORT PLAN B!

• pay for it yourself
      October 08, 2012 - 12:20

As an Albertan it sickens me that so many millions of our tax dollars go toward that waste of money in the eastern provinces. Why should we be paying into Ottawa only to see that money go to PEI? Have the people of PEI pay for their stuff 100% themselves. Just like we do out here. Ralphie Klein was right. Let the lazy eastern you-know-whats freeze.

• Green Roader
      October 08, 2012 - 14:01

I agree with Randal 100%! I live n the Green Road (in Bonshaw) and have to drive to Charlottetown every day for work. If we had a climate like California the road would be fine but it is terrible in the winter. I also have neighbors in Bonshaw who agree with the realignment and the changes that will be made to improve the Green Road intersection. The protesters (like those in favor) only speak for themselves and no one else. I also wish the media (especially CBC) would learn a bit about geography and stop referring to everything from Cornwall to Desable as "Bonshaw". It gives the impression that all residents are against the project.

• YES, WE NEED A BETTER TCH
    October 07, 2012 - 21:53

I drive for a living 50,000kms/yr + and use rte19 everyday. I try to stay away from Bonshaw/Churchill hwy, BECAUSE IT SUCKS! There are drivers like me using other roads and they are the shore rd rte19, Kingston rd rte235, and Kinkora rd rte225 and we should be using the TCH. Look around and ask a truck driver what he thinks about rolling up and down these hills following a tiny little car with someones wife and children. Not one of those protesters are considering the emissions created from these hills, the brake dust that come from these trucks as they flow down these hills, the excessive salt being spread on these hills( to keep those little tiny cars safe from losing control in the winter) and THEN washing into the Bonshaw River where we know for a fact it does NOT help the salmon and trout. Speak up environmentalists! IT NEEDS IMPROVEMENTS. There was an other option but plan A was turned down, just out of the question. So... get educated. And if you are out there looking to speak to a truck driver and can`t find one, go to the government garage in Charlottetown and ask to speak to any one of the plow drivers (that clear that path to make the way) if they ever had any flash images of there families as they creeped down Bonshaw hill in the freezing rain and by the time they hit the bottom wondering it they will make the turn if they get that far. Happy (safe)motoring!

• Clayton Cameron
    October 07, 2012 - 20:55

I recall when less than one percent of Islanders didn't want a bridge. Now less than one percent don't want a straighter road. Every couple of years something is being protested on the Island and in many of these protest their are a large number of people that are there just to be there, Protest to Protest. I'm thinking maybe some apple will be better off falling a little farther from the tree????. Come into the 21/st century or maybe just go back to horse n buggy,. I drove that road daily in all types of weather and some days several trips. And yes I did have some close calls. Many times because of the ones driving to slow, to ignorant to move over for the ones that could drive over 30 km's in a n90 because of a dusting of snow. Driving to slow to make a hill without causing a spinout. 10 years from now and most protesters will enjoy the driving experience and will forever after fail to admit they were a protester. Do you hear people talking about when they protested the bridge? Didn't think so. o Yea. I am entitled to my opinion also.

• Tobias
      October 08, 2012 - 09:18

This is a straw man argument. There is no comparison between the bridge and this highway realignment as public issues. I supported the Yes side in the bridge plebiscite and went on to work on the construction. In that debate we were going to build a link across the strait or not. In the case of this Plan B debate there are many ways to fix up this road without expropriating properties nor destroying vistsas, trees, waterways, etc. It is not as clear cut as the bridge debate. Do not try to dress this up as progress vs. ant-progress. It is a sneaky way to pretend that the guys in charge are honest and competent which they are neither. Everybody knows how this is a special interest patronage project. The names are out in the open for God's sake. If these guys had not been sneaky about this we could have gotten the federal money, picked good projects and employed just as many or more people. I have worked in the construction and development industry for a lot of my life and I can tell when a government messes up through being too clever by half. They tried to manipulate and obscure way too much on this one and that is why it has blown up in their faces. Do not try to cover up for them. They did this to themselves.

• Protestors wasting tax money
    October 07, 2012 - 20:26

Every hour that the protestors stop the machinery is costing us tax payers money. Its going to happen so let it get built.

• Will Brown from Maine
    October 07, 2012 - 19:38

I am also glad that the Guardian is reporting this story with DAILY REGULARITY. It is of great importance to the future of the island, both economically and environmentally. I had written back in the late spring about this govt. folly and talked about how the engineering and qualification of need for this plan were both backwards in safety need as well as for any lessening of accidents. In fact, accidents will increase as "wider is faster". The notion of "uniformity" in transit planning is no longer used here in Maine; rather the Dept. of Transportation recognizes that transit designs need to be based on the context of the area, i.e., a part of the island where you need to get people to take responsibility and "slow down" rather than rearrange the topography so they can clip along at 100K. Then there's (dare I say the words) the "environmental issues" that will ultimately impact the island's economy, as well as its land, water and animal/plant life. It is unbelievable (read: "unconscionable") that the govt. is still pursuing this plan, let alone that every taxpayer is not knocking on every door at your C'town govt. offices and those of your local representatives. The folks who are standing out there at the work site trying to stop this are the true island patriots. Keep up the good work (and perhaps Mr. Smell the Coffee can at least bring you some on a damp morning, when he finally wakes up)

• Another "Come from Away"
      October 09, 2012 - 13:08

I agree. You said it perfectly for those of us who appreciate the "differences" the Island has to offer. Thank you.

• Will Brown from Maine
    October 07, 2012 - 19:09

I sent in a comment last night that was concise and courteous, but has not been posted. What I did notice was that the validation letters had one in them that, due to a strange font could be interpreted as a minor case "b" or an "l" and an "o". Apparently my choice was wrong as the post is not up. I am going to now write a comment on 'Plan B" and hope you will take a close look so I might get into this post. I appreciate that you are covering this ongoing story and encourage you to run with it, as it is your duty, I believe.

• Donnie
    October 07, 2012 - 18:51

I'd like to point out, once again, that the stretch of road the Dept. of Highways is declaring "dangerous" is the same one the Dept. of Highways raised the speed limit by 20KPH not that long ago.....(...at the apex of a turn located at the base of a hill bordered by water and having a bridge that freezes before the road and was the site of a three person fatality....).

• Honking ha
    October 07, 2012 - 18:36

Do you really believe that when people drive by and honk the horn at your protest they are supporting you? I will bet that 90 percent of people who honk the horn are laughing to themselves saying what idiots to be standing out here wasting their time protesting something that has already been decided. I don't agree completely with the whole plan b but even trying to stop it now would be wasting more money because so much has been spent on it already. Do you really expect people to say ya just cut our losses and just stop it now? I personally think that would be foolish and I think these protestors need to fine something constructive to do with their time and energy.

• Pro Plan B
    October 07, 2012 - 14:51

Lets get on with the work, and include the extension of the by-pss and the segment of high to avoid Crapaud. Another project - lets build a high-speed electric train from O'Leary Corner to Poole'sCorner...

• What's Being Protested Anyway?
    October 07, 2012 - 14:26

How to manufacture a sense of futility: 1) Tell people what's going to happen to them and call it "inclusive decision making" and "transparency". However, hold back facts until forced by law to release them. 2) Thank a large group of protesters for their "little" gathering - smile a lot, say nothing substantive. 3) Ignore petitions, plebiscites, public protests, hundred of e-mails, letters and media editorials; never respond to any of them directly. But, say ad-nauseum that you're listening - and smile, a lot. 4) Hire a old friend's company to do the necessary legal environmental study and then give the final decision to a subordinate - but claim you're following a fair, objective and transparent process - say "transparent" many,many times. 5) Spend at least four million dollars starting the project prior to any approval, but maintain nothing will happen until the project is approved. 6) Once the project is officially approved, pretend it's been approved by someone other than yourself - and act pleased, but mildly surprised. 7) Hire as many people as possible for the project so that relatives, friends and loved ones feel it would be awkward or impossible to criticize the project - pit family member against family member - draw attention away from self. 8) Blame waste and needless expense on those who are protesting waste and needless. Demonize the victims and characterize opposition as ignorant and foolish - call it "emotional" and imply ignorance of the facts. Finally, let it be known that the only reasonable way to protest is to vote against the current government, as long as it's after the damage is done, the swindlers get their money, and second term politicians get their pensions. Sound familiar? I don't have the courage to look like those "foolish" protesters . . . but on this Thanksgiving Day, I sure am thankful for them, and I hope they don't give up.

• To The Guardian
    October 07, 2012 - 13:05

Thank You for providing Islanders a voice on this very controversial issue. I noticed the CBC Website ran a updated report on Saturday re: the gathering at the Plan B site but the report was Closed to Comments.

• TO Wakeupandsmellthecoffee
    October 07, 2012 - 12:52

Maybe you should. Last time I checked people have the choice of doing what they wish unless it is against the law. These protestors aren't doing anything that is against the law. Maybe in your mind it has already been decided but in a Democracy all people have a voice.

• Good Comment
      October 07, 2012 - 17:56

Very good point. In a Democracy all people (ought to) have a voice, and not just once every four years - as Mr. Ghiz implies ad nauseum.

• SG
    October 07, 2012 - 12:27

To: James Galasso - Very well stated. Thank You for your comment. It is interesting to hear from people who live abroad and enjoy visiting and spending time on our Island. Those who have lived here for decades sometimes only see what they have always seen. It is always good to get a new perspective. I agree once a Natural Habitant, Trees and Streams are gone they are gone forever. I feel such Precious landscapes and ecosystems need to be protected. I hope you and yours will continue to enjoy your visits to our Island. Again thank you for sharing your views.

• To those who are protesting this
    October 07, 2012 - 11:53

God Bless these people for standing up and being counted. More then I can say about Ghiz the Younger. Does he even go to work anymore? Has anyone seen him lately?

• Sue Platts
    October 07, 2012 - 10:28

I was at the protest and will continue to support those that are representing those of us who do not want this new section of highway. There are many reasons why Plan B shouldn't go forward - it isn't fiscally responsible of the Fed or Prov governments, there will be 2 highways that will need to be maintained, old growth Hemlock & other envirnomental issues, the fishery in the West River will be affected, people's homes & land are being taken away from them, there are other sections of the TCH that have higher accident rates & sadly deaths for whatever reason. We as taxpayers will be paying for this work for many years. I understand that the funds are desginated for a specific reason - however the 50 cent dollars that the PEI government are dedicating to this could be spent elsewhere.

• James Galasso
    October 07, 2012 - 09:58

MY PRIOR COMMENT ON LAST ARTICLE-I actually live in Puerto Rico on a small island of 2500 persons (US Citizen) and have been a conservative working person most of my 63 years and still working. I have owned a property in Cardigan for 7 years now and my daughter did attent 4 years of college in PEI. We are still "visitors" and not "locals" . I do not know your actual pros and cons as they effect your Island and would never begin to say I could comment on YOUR ISLAND and what is good for you. But I do know what the current political party is trying to do to our small island here in the name of economic "sustainability" which destroys the natural beauty to profit a few. As we all are facing many of the same crisises in every island of the world, now it is really time to reflect and as I always say who is really profiting from this or any project. Like I said I do not know the details of your project but I do know this once it is gone it is gone and that gives other developers the " precident " to do other projects. So you might want to look at what is really going to follow and be aware of the full game plan because the politicans and developers EVERYWHERE never show their full cards they chip away at you and your enviornment for their profits. I was a police officer for many years and I when I see something that does not make sense I always say "WHATS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?"Again I apologize and freely admit I do not know your individual issues- I am just giving you a different perspective from another small island a long way away from my second favorite island PE. Finally I would like to commend any protestors who follow the rules of law- including my daughter for making us think - sometimes we all just so programed that we just become part of the MATRIX (government) and blindly accept what our government tells us. NOW THAT IT BECOMES NEWS THAT THE PROVINCE PAID 4 MILLION FOR THE PROPERTY - THIS NEWS PAPER SHOULD INVESTIGATE WHO GOT PAID THE FOUR MILLION - MAYBE ALL IS WELL BUT LIKE I SAID ABOVE WHEN THINGS DO NOT MAKE SENSE ASK THE QUESTION -"WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? " AND THEN MY NEXT FAVORITE SAYING IS THE ONE DEEP THROAT SAID TO WOODWARD AND BERNSTEIN - "FOLLOW THE MONEY"

• Ryan
    October 07, 2012 - 09:53

I was at the rally and there was closer to 200 people in attendance - not the 100 reported in this story. It was great to see so many people from all walks of life coming together to oppose the government's incredibly wasteful and wrong-minded plan.

• The Troughkeepers
    October 07, 2012 - 09:26

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys." P.J. O'Rourke

• RAC
    October 07, 2012 - 09:24

I've driven Highway 1A from Charlottetown to Summerside many times over the years and have never felt unsafe or thought to myself that the road needs an overhaul. Expropriation to rebuild a road that does not need rebuilt is also a matter of grave concern. Finally, we are a province of 140,000 people with a cumulative debt approaching 2,000,000,000 dollars. If we keep running huge deficits year after year we are in serious trouble. We are told this is about saving lives. Will redirecting after hours surgeries from Summerside to Charlottetown save lives? I'd love to hear the answer.

• The Premier's New Clothes
    October 07, 2012 - 09:21

Once upon a time there was once a vain Premier who cared only for himself and his Cabinet. Well, not so much for his Cabinet. The Premier consulted with swindlers who convinced him to use tax dollars to construct the best set of clothes someone else's money could buy. "But what's wrong with the clothes I have?" asked the Premier. The Swindlers said, "Nothing, Just get your Mr. Vassal to toss around some bogus numbers and tell the people the clothes you have don't fit. If he says it often enough they'll believe it." said the swindlers. "But what if someone sees through it, they know my clothes fit, what if they protest? "Not a problem. Even though just a few of us will make the real money, we're talking millions here. We'll toss off a small piece and hire two hundred of them to sew the clothes." "Yeah, that's crazy enough to work." the vain Premier said. "The people can't get mad at me then. We'll make them get mad at each other; brother against brother-in-law, father against son. Perfect!" The End.

• voter
    October 07, 2012 - 09:10

any politicians got the guts to join the protest -- come on - you do not have to be an island politician,i'm sure they have been instructed by their leader to stay away !!! what about a few federal politicians or senatorsfrom the area or elsewhere - they know about just sitting around !!!

• ImWithYou
    October 07, 2012 - 08:48

This is not over. And to all those who are secretly supporting the protesters but don't want to be seen as foolish for beating a dead horse so to speak, I hear you. Well now is the time to do something behind the scenes. Write that letter to your MLA, or deliver a meal out to the campers, or share some of the posts on Facebook. Take a chance. Your friends will admire that you stand up for your beliefs and they'll likely do the same. It only takes a few brave souls to get it started. Imagine how exciting it would be to show this government that they can't push Islanders around.

• Brenda
    October 07, 2012 - 08:33

Whenever people protest they say that they are representing the people - in this case " Islanders". Well, these people are NOT representing me. I want them to pack up, go home and SHUT UP. WE have heard you and do not agree with you or there would have been more than 100 people -or 200 or 300. I have driven this road many, many times and I hated it -especially at night or poor weather. Good for the Ghiz government. Now you 100 people, go home and stop wasting our money.

• johnthames
    October 07, 2012 - 07:58

Good for them! And for those whiners who call them tree-huggers etc please get real this is about a dishonest and corrupt government lying to the people and spending millions on a project we don't need, millions you will have to pay back. Get it? These people have courage, unlike the whiners on here complaining about them. PS: Print my comments Guard-On, you have done little to expose this nonsense for what it it.

• Attack dogs
    October 07, 2012 - 07:56

See the liberal attack dogs are out this morning. Interesting that they are now stooping to make nasty attacks against the hundreds of people with something else going on in their lives - like myself - but took the time to drive to New Haven on the very safe highway to show support for the protestors and to expressed our opposition to the cynical liberal scam. Hopefully the Liberal Party will go the way of the dodo. We thought they were gone once before but they clawed their way back. Next time hopefully they will be gone for good!

• Intobed
      October 07, 2012 - 10:45

Their foolish comments does make them look pretty stupid, Attack Dogs. If tomorrow Ghiz declared PEI was leaving Canada to become a vassal state of a third world country, these same posters in favour of Plan B would call Ghiz a visionary, and wildly support it.

• Lot's of protestors
    October 07, 2012 - 07:51

There were closer to 300 then 100 people with the constant honking of horns from people driving by in support. Other than a few die in the wool liberals and those with a financial interest NOBODY supports this waste of money, destruction of the environment and expropriation of homes... all so we can have TWO highways between Bonshaw and New Haven.

• Stop Bonshaw Accidents
    October 07, 2012 - 07:02

9 Reasons the Road in Bonshaw has accidents: 1) Aggressive tailgating, 2) Excessive speed, 3) Disregarding traffic controls, 4) Failure to signal, 5) Impaired driving, 6) Equipment Failure, 7) Failure to yield the right of way, 9) Cell phone use. One thing that does not cause accidents - THE ROAD!

• Joe Blow
    October 07, 2012 - 00:37

The only people that are saying that this project is a good idea and that is needed are the people who are in Ghiz's pocket and people with no common sense!! This project does nothing to create revenue, it doesn't create long lasting jobs and it is a total waste of tax dollars! Buying up property and forcing people to move makes no sense. Spending money when the province is so badly in debt makes no sense. Changing a highway that is perfectly fine, makes no sense. Try spending tax dollars on things that will create jobs and generate revenue to help pay off the massive debt...that is using common sense and will actually benefit all Islanders. How hard is it for people and politicians to use common sense?? I really don't get how some people can support this decision, unless they are going to gain financially....the same way crooks benefitted from PNP. This government is killing the province with their dumb decisions. Plan B and the HST are just poor decisions being made by arrogant politicians that are going to fill their bank accounts.

• The Real Joe Blow
    October 06, 2012 - 23:12

These protesters are pathetic.

• Would it not be cool
    October 06, 2012 - 22:34

Would it not be cool for thousands to take this protest opportunity and stand up for better government in general.

• David
    October 06, 2012 - 21:29

I wish some the Anti Plan B people would go back to and take Grade 4 Math and clue that 100 people do NOt represent the majority of 140,000 people. No matter how lund they yell or go on they are no more then 100 busy bodies who many don't even live in the area. All these people who they say that supports them are they all invisible? Or are they just their imaginary friends.

• hammike
      October 07, 2012 - 04:00

Perhaps you should try a return to school. How many were there to show support of the project? Any? None? 100-0 almost sounds like it is unanimous. Ghiz has lost the support of the majority of Islanders, it is time he steps down.

• you again?
      October 07, 2012 - 10:04

Folks - there are only a handful of people who say they're in favour of Plan B. One of them is particularly vocal - he/posts under the names David, Dave, Joe MacDonald, Rick MacDonald & We're so Spineless, among others. His argument is that there are 140,000 Islanders and only 100 are against Plan B - he needs to get his facts right. There are way more than 100 against it - 300 took the time to read and question the Environmental Impact Assessment report, which wasn't an easy task. There may be 140,000 residents - but how many of them are under 18? They've never had a say in this crazy waste of taxpayers' money and natural resources, yet they will carry this debt after the supporters of this folly are long gone. Think on that!

• David, an interesting name sake.
      October 07, 2012 - 17:39

I went to church today and was reminded that sometimes it takes only one person to be right. Indeed, sometimes even one "protester" can accomplish quite a lot. "And he went into the temple, and began to cast out them that sold therein, and them that bought; Saying unto them, It is written, My house is the house of prayer: but ye have made it a den of thieves." - Luke 19:45

• Jan
      October 07, 2012 - 18:16

There is a VERY large silent Majority who are opposed to this project.

• Nan Clarke
    October 06, 2012 - 21:24

Good for those protesters At least someone is stepping up and taking a stand. What is the government but an extension of the desire of the people? In this case the people have long protested this project no matter how many plans they can come up with and yet the Ghiz government is NOT representing the interests and desires of the public and are steaming ahead in spite of popular opinion. I don't know what is driving the Ghiz government to press forward with this project. but it is not with the interests of the overall population in mind. Such a waste of money and manpower! Good for the protesters for standing up for what is the "right" decision. What is it going to take to get the Ghiz government to govern with the best interest of the PEI population in mind? When is the government going to reflect the desires of the overall population in their spending of the government funds. To my knowledge PEI is not independently rich and can't afford nor need this project to come to fruition.

• alfredd
    October 06, 2012 - 20:31

For those who could not be there, - it was a great gathering, intelligent discourse, and optimisme that some compromise can be worked out. The legal avenue looks good and it is just a matter of time. The cars and trucks honk as they drove by, the support to have this stop is certainly there, it is just a matter of politicians listening. The MLAs must break ranks with Ghiz, they have a responsibility to represent their constituents, and need to take that seriously. The ones that plan to run again should take stock of their chances if they continue to support this crazy direction. You better jump earlier than later if you want to have the slightest chance of getting re-elected, --- Ghiz will take you down with him, but he will have a golden parachute after this project., - but you will be just little old you, with no respect, as you collect your unearned pension, ---- Is there not one of you that have the integrety, honesty, selfrespect to do what is right, --- not only with regards to plan B , but to all the rest of the crab that you are being partynton under Ghiz.

• SG
    October 06, 2012 - 18:58

Great Job Protestors ! I wish I could have been there.

• wakeupandsmellthecoffee
    October 06, 2012 - 18:16

Do these protesters not have anything else going on in there life? It has already been decided! You are going to do absolutley nothing by going there but waste your time and energy. It is thanksgiving weekend and these losers are sitting in the woods in fron of excavators! Go the hell home to your families and leave these workers alone. Best case scenario you only get pepper sprayed.

• John W.A. Curtis
    October 06, 2012 - 18:06

Great idea keep up the good work. Save the forest tell Robert Ghiz and company where to go

• confused
    October 06, 2012 - 17:31

I am confused about what exactly they are protesting? Is it the Provincial governments waste of money on this highway? If so, they should also protest the feds. It is their program funding requirements that force this highway to be fixed through the atlantic gateway initiative. Harper figured this would make it easier for Islanders to drag their defeated attitudes to the booming west coast.

• Garth Staples
      October 07, 2012 - 06:16

The Federal money is there only if the Province wants to use it. Apparently the Liberal Govt wants to use it. It loves to spend money---taxpayers money. Just think how many kms could have been up graded starting at North Tryon towards Desable. Desable a dangerous section of the road. Wonder who owns the land there?

• scott
    October 06, 2012 - 17:29

its done, its over move on..... video ive seen shows a bunch of kids ....... dont you people have jobs? perhaps you should be working and contributing to the province, rather then costing us working taxpayers more money in your stupid little game. move on and grow up.

• James Evans
      October 07, 2012 - 14:54

Nice to be called a kid - I'm 66!

• PLEASE
    October 06, 2012 - 17:17

Please stop giving them the media attention.

• Earl Affleck
      October 07, 2012 - 08:50

There is a couple of issues I want to comment on: Your protest and remarks were noted and although your remarks were considered by government, our government as decided for the greater good and for safety reasons the road is going ahead with the project. 2. The govenment has decided for safety reasons to erect a barrier st tax payers expense because apparently the protesters did not get the message that they lost. Under the OH&S legislation they the contractor has a responsibility to ensure that people are safe at or near the work site. However it also states that what is reasonable and praticable under the circumstance, to me it is not reasonable to erect this barrier to keep people of property that is under the care and control of the contractor. The protesters should be arrested for trespassing, a court injunction should be placed on the protesters with cost for any further delays. If the protesters were workers on a legal strike stopping work, you would be sure that the court injunction would already be in place. We, have heard the arguements, they were reviewed by our government and rightly or wrongly the work is going ahead. People who wish to drive through the present stretch of road at 80 KM will still be able to do that after the new safer section opens, to the best of my knowledge they are not ripping it out. When you are doing that enjoy the scenery, I will be on the new section because I have somewhere to go to make a living. The equipment operators are also only doing there job let them feed their families or for every day you stop them write them a cheque.