2014 funding announcement soon

Nigel
Nigel Armstrong

Paulette Soloman, CEO of the Prince Edward Island 2014 Incorporated, says the vision for the 150th anniversary of the Charlottetown Conference is to create a yearlong celebration in 2014 of fantastic, inspiring events.

The 2014 celebration group is getting ready to announce details of funding for the year that marks the 150th anniversary of the Charlottetown Conference.

Paulette Solomon, CEO of P.E.I. 2014 Inc. gave an outline and update Monday to 20 members of the Charlottetown Downtown Residents Association.

In May, The Guardian reported on a leaked document that said there will be $75 million available to mark 2014.

That amount is not correct, said Solomon.

"It is considerably less than what you might have heard," she said. "We don't have the final budget yet because we are still working on generating the funds.

"Everybody who has dollars, we are going after them," said Solomon.

She did say how the fund will work.

"The 2014 fund will be a cost-shared funding program," she said. "We will be announcing the details in a few weeks. We are just putting the finishing touches on those."

The announcement will be followed by a media blitz that few will miss, she said. There will be television, newspaper and radio ads, social media and 11 community workshops across the province this fall.

"We are very excited about it," said Solomon. "People can come and learn first hand about the fund and how to apply for it."

There will be a 1-800 phone number offering guidance to walk through the application process.

The www.pei2014.ca web site will have sample budget documents and other guides explaining the fund.

"It will be open to not-for-profit groups such as community organizations, municipalities, sports organizations, school organizations, libraries, festivals and events, arts and cultural, all kinds of organizations.

"We will support up to a certain percentage and those groups will be expected to provide the balance of support."

It will not be for big capital projects, she said, but to the contrary they may be funding for planting heritage gardens or small projects.

"What I say to community groups is think about what your assets are, what you have and what you really hold dear in your community and let that guide your vision for what it is you would like to set as your goal for 2014," said Soloman

The oganization is trying to put the P.E.I. event on the national map, especially as a reminder to get ready for the 150th anniversary of the founding of Canada.

"A big success would be that we are recognized nationally as a kickoff to 2017," said Solomon.

The 2014 organization wants the main legacy to be a great idea that will emerge somewhere from the year of events.

"We also want to make sure we generate economic activity," said Solomon.

"It's important to us that Islanders and Canadians feel proud of what was done that year," she said. "We hope that we reach every Islander that wants to be reached, that everyone will be able to say 'I was able to experience something in my community, I was able to experience something that meant something to me.' "

Organizations: The Guardian, Solomon.The 2014 organization

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Canada

Comments

Comments

• gina jenkins
    August 22, 2012 - 22:08

I DON'T CARE IF A DOG RUNS AGAINST GHIZ IN THE NEXT ELECTION, - I WILL VOTE FOR THE DOG ANY TIME . NOT LIKE THE EXCUSES GIVEN BY SOME LAST TIME, -- THERE IS NO CHOICE, WELL AS YOU SEE NOW, - ANYTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER THAN THIS USELESS CLOWN

• laura albertson
    August 22, 2012 - 11:57

I can hardly wait for this news to come out and bite me. I want to know what Ms .Solomon is being paid per year, and also the rest of the staff in that 2014 office. Again something struffed down our throats that the majority do not want or need, - what we want and need is some restraint and sensible behavior on the part of Premier Ghiz. The average people will not feel any benefit from this circus, it will be dinners and receptions for the same chosen few. Ghiz will strut and blab and the Guvernor will be at strutting along side him. The wife and kids may even be dragged in front of the cameras. Comes April 2013 we will all be in the poor house when we start paying HST on everything we do and buy. However, Ghiz will spend it all on selfpromotion and tourismepromotion, and the rest of us can just suck it up. Great democracy - dictator style.For us expecting intelligent leadership and honest government, - this is a nightmare.

• AMAZED
    August 22, 2012 - 11:10

Don't worry we are already recognized nationally .The PNP scandal refuses to die .I believe until the names are released and denied immigrants are reimbursed in full all Islanders will wallow in shame. Lets forget about the parties shall we.

• intobed
    August 22, 2012 - 10:24

We desperately need recall legislation. Desperately.

• SG
    August 22, 2012 - 10:16

I agree we can't afford such a Celebration. Will "We" the "Taxpayers" be paying for this? We have Islanders that can't find employment on our Island, Islanders who have lost jobs due to lay offs, Islanders that have had to move West to find employment and provide for their family. I am confused. We hear our Gov. and Finance Minister talking about spending restraints then we read News Reports about Events requiring $7 digit Funding. Given our Deficit I wonder how we will be able to Finance all. In my opinion Islanders' critical needs should be priority. I also feel there are better ways to generate economic activity without spending $ Millions +. Our family's lifestyle is based solely on our income and what we can afford.

• sounds depressing
    August 22, 2012 - 10:08

A party atmosphere to celebrate the times of oppressed women, and children,hard mundane lives, sounds like a rocking time. Can I bring chips or the dip? Honestly, how do you make those times sound remotely interesting? And would the forefathers be impressed with the political happenings here today?

• Janet Gaudet
    August 22, 2012 - 09:36

I think Robert Ghiz is trying to promote his image nationally and will use this as a chance for lots of photo-ops. He sure loves his photo-ops! Excuse me if I sound cynical but that's exactly how I feel. We can't afford this and I'm tired of a government who has a beer income and a champagne appetite.

• hank snow
    August 22, 2012 - 09:30

I was able to experience something after I read this ... a trip to the washroom.

• Walter Wilkins
    August 22, 2012 - 09:28

Given the plethora of institutions within Canadian culture, perhaps the funding ought to have a theme - a focus that brings clarity about what the funding agency sees as positive Canadian values? That way, people can get a better sense about funding priorities. For example, what about a focus on children or active living? To do otherwise, and open it up too much, may just generate a bucket full of false entitlements.

• bob mac ewen
    August 22, 2012 - 07:48

To add insult to injury here comes this story, just after we are told we owe over 400 mill. dollars to the pension fund. Are there anyone sane in this government? Scrap this 2014 folly, close the office and get with reality. It is incredible that a government can just keep on adding to the debt for foolish purposes. Stop the train, we all want want to get off before it crashes off the track. Can we not get the attention of somebody to help bring some sense to this little dictator we have for a Premier.

• WTF
    August 22, 2012 - 07:30

These are additional loan announcements. There is not funding, for anything. There is continued additional borrowing by the Ghiz team every week. The Island needs a debt clock hanging around Ghiz's neck. Wake up you dummies!!!!

• al fredd
    August 22, 2012 - 07:17

AN OTHER PLAN b stuffed down our bankrupt throats, --- more money to borrow, more interest to pay , more Ghiz crap to endure.