Community care facility under construction in Clyde River

Jim Day

Ground has broken at a community care facility in Clyde River. From left are Community Services and Seniors Minister Valerie Docherty, Alan MacPhee of Hartshire Holdings Inc., and Doug Gillespie, chair of Clyde River Council.

CLYDE RIVER — Construction of Clyde River’s new community care facility is underway.

The area along the Trans Canada Highway, at the crest of the hill in Clyde River, is busy with activity as heavy equipment operators do ground preparations for the development.

“We are looking forward to the development of a first class facility in the community of Clyde River,” said Doug Gillespie, chairperson of Clyde River Council.

The proposed 1,800 square-metre building will be constructed in the traditional style of a grand old Island homestead, complete with a wrap-around veranda that provides a spectacular view overlooking the pastoral beauty of the West River and surrounding community.

The facility is the first of its kind in the Clyde River area. It will feature modern amenities, including spacious and well-decorated rooms (private, semi-private, apartment and suites), recreational areas, two themed lounges, a fine dining room complete with fireplace, as well as a chapel and beauty salon.

“As the MLA for the area, and as minister responsible for seniors, I am delighted to see this new addition to Clyde River,” said Valerie Docherty.

“Keeping seniors in their community is part of our rural development plan.”

The construction is planned to continue throughout the fall and winter months and is scheduled to open in the spring of 2013.

Organizations: Trans Canada Highway

Geographic location: Clyde River, West River

Comments

Comments

• To Sylvia
    August 20, 2012 - 17:36

There are worse things than going out west or elsewhere in Canada. Seeing and learning from the world is not a bad idea imo And return is always there.

• Sylvia
    August 19, 2012 - 18:49

I think that as worthy as it is to make sure seniors have a secure place to live after they can't live on their own, I also think it's important to be sure that we offer opportunities for young people. Government money to Holland College was cut which meant cutting of courses which meant job losses for instructors. If we don't provide a future for our young people, there will be no future for P.E.I. Our young people are our future. Without them, we have no future.

• Bob Thistle
    August 19, 2012 - 18:20

Sylvia, as someone who is as concerned about money as you and someone who says they have a background in the health field, you should know it is cheaper to have seniors in community care rather then a nursing home. Anything that keeps the elderly out of nursing homes longer is a good thing. You say you are a senior and concerned for the welfare of seniors, but the last line in your post makes it seem you feel the young are more important to the province and thus more deserving of government help then the elderly.

• Jim MacDonald
    August 19, 2012 - 18:12

Typical, I assume your policy on the health of seniors' health issues involves ice floes. In your world the government is squandering the future by helping seniors live a longer and healthier life. And you see that as wrong headed, why?

• Piet Hein
    August 19, 2012 - 18:06

Typical, let me get this right. You feel the provincial government should not be concerned with the health of its seniors and you see the fact they are building a new community care facility a twisted policy. There is something twisted alright and it is not the government policy.

• No feral seniors
    August 19, 2012 - 18:04

Better to spend money on seniors who got us this far, than squander it on dumba-s projects than go nowhere ,or do no good except for a few greedy buggers. Just my view. Build more housing for seniors , we are all getting steadily older and will need housing.

• Cheyane
    August 19, 2012 - 17:06

WHY SYLVIA would You be interested in knowing "where the money came from" for This - such a good - worthwhile - much needed Project WHICH Will keep giving good Care for Years to come? WHERE the heck does Sylvia 'think' the money IS coming from, eh Sylv?

• Sylvia
    August 19, 2012 - 17:03

I'm a retired senior who worked in health care most of my life as an L.N.A. in hospital, nursing home, and home care & support. Obviously, as a senior, I'm not against helping seniors. I just don't understand how this government keeps finding money for projects when our fiscal situation is so serious. As a taxpayer, I think my concerns are justified. There is an old saying, a champagne appetite and a beer income. I think this would apply to our present government. I'm very concerned about all the young people who are leaving our province to find work out in western Canada. That should be a major concern for everyone.

• Islandwoman
    August 19, 2012 - 14:57

Seriously, Bob? I don't see anything in Sylvia's post that indicates she begrudges helping seniors. Its a perfectly legitimate question and I find it unusual that the funding breakdown was not included in the article. I'd also like to know who's building it. It sounds like a lovely well-needed facility but if taxpayers are building it, we should have the info.

• Bob Thistle
    August 19, 2012 - 09:52

Sylvia, judging by your question you don't agree money should be spent on helping seniors. I certainly hope you have a good retirement plan, lots of savings and family who will help you in your old age because the chances are you will need this kind of facility in the future. Why you would begrudge helping seniors is beyond me.

• typical
      August 19, 2012 - 11:57

PEI cuts back on public school education and university funding yet spends more on health care and seniors homes. Talk about twisted priorities! By doing that, PEI is sending future taxpayers packing to more progressive provinces that do fund education and child care and universities. By funding the elderly, it seals PEI's fate and it will cease as a province within a generation. Ciao Grey Island !

• Sylvia
    August 19, 2012 - 08:48

Would someone please tell me where the money was found for this project. I'd be interested to know.

• Ulfric
      August 19, 2012 - 14:40

If you are going to complain then save if for something worth while

• Tim
      October 22, 2012 - 07:30

Sylvia I have read your blogs and find them disturbing! As a previous healt care professional you would know that Community Care Facilities are privately owned and are regulated by strict guidelines by the Province. You should also consider that without a past we have NO future. Our seniors are a great source of Knowledge and should be guarded and respected and cared for. Shame on anyone who would not think the same!!!!