Impromptu jail-cell dance exposes drugs

Provincial Correctional Centre in Charlottetown.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Just ask the guards at the provincial correctional centre who recently charged a new arrival for drug possession after his impromptu impersonation of a cartoon character culminated in the unplanned exposure of a packet of drugs concealed in his rectum.

Troy Kenneth Campbell had been taken to the provincial correctional centre after police picked him up for being intoxicated in public.

Campbell had been dancing in the middle of University Avenue in Charlottetown with a beer in one hand and a cheeseburger in the other.

When he arrived at the correctional centre he was placed in what corrections officials refer to as a dry cell.

Dry cells generally have no running water and are used principally for prisoners   suspected of having ingested illegal goods or other contraband which would come out of the body in a bowel movement.

When Campbell was exchanging his clothing for jail issue clothing he asked the guards if they had ever seen Cyril Sneer. Sneer was a pink cartoon aardvark with a very prominent snout.

Campbell proceeded to tuck his penis between his legs, bend over and jump up and down in the cell.

When he did so, guards observed that a piece of plastic was protruding from his rectum, an indication he was carrying contraband.

When guards began to enter the cell Campbell sensing what was up pulled a plastic bag from his rectum and threw it across the cell.

The bag in question contained four hits of Hydromorphone, a narcotic used to treat moderate to severe pain.

In court Monday Campbell pleaded guilty to possession of Hydromorphone and was fined $700. He must also pay a $105 victims of crime surcharge.

Campbell had a prior conviction for possession of narcotics.

Comments

Comments

• Bobbi lea Henderson
    September 26, 2014 - 13:41

This story is 2 yrs old and I'm pretty sure its safe to say Troy was embarrassed about it but like someone mentioned before there are far worst things that people should be embarrassed about as far as what goes on in this town .... I highly doubt Troy was the first person to ever go to the drunk tank ( on purpose or not) and won't be the last and I doubt he is the first to ever try smuggling stuff in to jail and not the last for that either . I'm not defending him don't get me wrong but some of these comments are littlle uneccassary !!! There are plenty of people on this island who have issues with various different things and for various different reason but who are we to judge and speak badly of any of those people .... Troy didn't harm anyone with what he was doing and I'm sure his family was embarrassed enough when this was published 2 yes ago so not sure why it's being reposted and is such a big deal now after 2 yrs ... Anyway didn't mean to rant I just hate seeing people judge other people or speak about people that they do not know or have no idea what it's like in that persons life ( and I'm not just referring to this post or these comments .. I just mean in general) .. I think we all have skeletons in our closets an that nobody has any room I bash someone else

• vinni
    August 11, 2012 - 09:54

WYNSTON, THE FIRST PERSON COMMENTING, YOU VERY MUCH SO ON THE RIGHT TRACK! ALMOST DEAD ON TO BE EXACT!

• Wynston
    August 10, 2012 - 17:37

Why would this guy be dancing around one of the busiest streets in Charlottetown with a beer, a cheeseburger, and with drugs up his back end? Why not just in your pocket and not parade around town like an idiot? Sounds to me like a obvious attempt to get drugs into a buddy or someone he owes money to in jail. Cops must have been suspicious of him anyway, not everyone gets put into a dry cell which according to the article he was. Wish I knew the full story because I guarantee you there is more to it.

• Lynn D.
    August 10, 2012 - 14:00

people end up in the drunk tank all the time...everywhere. It's only a few hrs. Better in there than staggering around in the street. No embarrassment to PEI or any other province. drunk tanks are full every weekend. His stupidity was having the pills up his ass. This story is hilarious. thanks for the laugh.

• Ralph, Mellissa, & Bert Raccoon
    August 10, 2012 - 13:17

Hey folks the real victim here is Cyril Sneer. As we all know he went into rehab for drug addiction after the show got canned in 1991. Let's help Mr Campbell and thank goodness he didn't slam a Disney character like Goofy or there would have been serious lawyers now involved. Pick on a good Canadian cartoon I say!

• Rina
      August 16, 2012 - 11:47

haha I love this comment from start to finish!!!!

• the "big stage"
    August 09, 2012 - 12:29

I heard about this story from a friend who read it on the "Nationa Post" website.....haha!! We've gone National, Ch'town!

• What everrrrrrrrr Duhhh
    August 08, 2012 - 13:32

Different laws and penalties. for white collar crimes? If they were the same there might be plenty of suits and ties sharing a cell. And you might not have to look too far either.

• wow
    August 08, 2012 - 13:32

This guy is going to have to move. I find this article completely disgusting and gross. Very bad article in my opinion.

• D
    August 08, 2012 - 12:54

Something tells me he likely should have asked if they had ever seen Mickey Mouse.

• Funny Story
    August 08, 2012 - 10:41

Really people!!! OMG, this story is funny! The guardian isn't turning this guy into the village idiot, he did it all himself. It's a funny story that deserves a chuckle, not all this crap from fellow islanders always wanting to complain and put their not needed 2 cents worth in. This has nothing to do with our justice system or how the jail deals with criminals....it's a funny story! I know it made my day! :-)

• Grin - Smiles and A good Chucke
    August 08, 2012 - 07:58

KUDOS TO THE GUARDIAN And this guy, the entire article for giving me AND my sister living with cancer a great chuckle of the day. A Beer AND A Cheeseburger-Hamburger yeah, this is funny right down to get'in down with his comedic jailhouse dance. lol :)

• Seriously?
    August 08, 2012 - 07:54

This is embarrassing to the Island as a whole that this story is in the paper - good for a laugh but embarrassing...

• Really???
      August 08, 2012 - 12:09

The only person to be truly embarrassed in this tale of beer, cheeseburgers, and dance is the fool who chose to swing his penis between his legs and do his best Cyril Sneer. Yeah, his family are likely cringing right about now as well. However, if people want to be mortified by stories that have been in the news and wring their hands over it being an embarrassment or bad reflection on precious little PEI, how about think back to the disgusting story of the "Father" that for years sexually assaulted his own daughter and then invited a friend to join in on it?? If that wasn't enough, how about the man who masturbated himself and sexually violated that ladies dog in her bedroom??? Perhaps the story of the sicko that beat another woman's pet to death and then tried to flee to the bridge to toss himself over??? Personally I'd rather stories of a drunken fool doing his best Cyril Sneer floating around for folks to read than sick depraved molesting fathers and animal abusers/killers. Frankly our politicians embarrass this Island on a day to day basis, so dance Troy, dance!! You can't do much more harm to the Island reputation than has already been done!!!

• meg marshall
    August 07, 2012 - 21:50

Clearly this person needs rehab. Drug addiction is an illness. 4 pills and jail? Why not hang him..my god this place is run by conservative idiots. As usual PEI judges have the brains of an arm chair and throw a sick individual in jail. Yeah that will help. Shocking/stupid/sad.

• Townie
      August 08, 2012 - 07:10

Reread the article, he wasn't put in jail for four pills. He was put in jail for public drunkenness.

• The CHarlottetown City Lets Jack Cash Gang and blame it on Americans
      August 08, 2012 - 07:59

Blame it on what ever you want to but until everyone admits to what they did and the problems it created the situation will continue to deteriorate until people die. This is a detail. Volumes speak details and this is one of them.

• Duhhh
    August 07, 2012 - 21:35

Fact: Over 78% of persons with a FPS number in Canada has no high school diploma.... No wonder Criminals are just plain Stupid.... I think this has a little too much detail in the story....

• Ashley
    August 07, 2012 - 19:25

hahahahaha only in PEI

• Jarrod
    August 07, 2012 - 17:18

I'm actually a bit shocked the Guardian chose to go there. Is the purpose of this article to educate Islanders or to turn one of them into a village idiot?

• Townie
      August 08, 2012 - 07:14

A news story does not a make someone a village idiot.

• dan
    August 07, 2012 - 16:54

Wow, this story made my day. I spent a good hour at my desk laughing..... Kudos guardian.

• Good luck
    August 07, 2012 - 16:04

On the serious side though, we all screw up from time to time. I hope he keeps his sense of humour. It's a rare commodity today. And if he needs any help I hope that he gets it.

• David
    August 07, 2012 - 15:44

Cheeseburgers, not even once!

• paper or plastic?
    August 07, 2012 - 15:42

Not bad, but my preference would be THE DANCE OF THE DYING SWAN. Its those darn pelvic thrusts that always land you in trouble.

• Cedrick Sneer
    August 07, 2012 - 15:08

He got them with the ol Cyril Sneer trick.. I wonder what his Bert Raccoon looks like.

• hilarious
    August 07, 2012 - 15:04

This is just great.

• Roger Wilco
    August 07, 2012 - 15:03

Best. News. Ev-or!

• Saywha
    August 07, 2012 - 15:03

Wow Sean, you're right. I would much rather have been this guy in jail than go through a (gasp) scanner while getting on a plane. I mean really, it's not like anyone ever tried to smuggle something on a plane before. Let's remove the scanners and see how comfy we are jumping into planes. You're going to vouch for everyone in line at customs are you? Scanners are so much more daunting than being put in a jail without running water for the night. Sounds like he was already assumed to have something if they had him in a special cell.............but naw...you would know.

• Big Beth
    August 07, 2012 - 14:51

A beer in one hand and a cheeseburger in the other? Now that's a reason to dance! He didn't sound like too bad of a character until the pills fell out of him..,. gross. Don't think I have ever laughed so hard and been so disgusted at the same time before in my life.

• seriously folks...
    August 07, 2012 - 14:19

Do we seriously need all this detail? Do we need to turn something serious into a bad comedy? They found it...would have been plenty of info for me!!

• Just saying
      August 07, 2012 - 15:42

I agree whole heartly with you Seriously Folks....Way to much info for me!

• are you "seriously folks"
      August 07, 2012 - 21:39

lighten up and just read the story. all they did was gave the facts. to much information?? i think you need to grow up and stop complaining

• sean b
    August 07, 2012 - 13:55

So they will use a full body scanner in a airport for non criminals but treat everyone like they are a criminal ,but wont use a full body scanner for actual criminals at a correctional centre or detention facility if they had this technology this wouldnt of happened in my eyes.

• Fan of Sean B
      August 07, 2012 - 14:17

Sean, best comment ever!

• jenn
      August 08, 2012 - 12:49

They obviously already suspected drugs in his system if they put him in a 'dry' room - what more can you ask for?

• Misguided
      August 08, 2012 - 14:15

Full body scanners are useful because of the high number of air travellers that board planes each day. The idea of installing them every little mickey mouse jail in Canada is laughable.

• Joe Blow
    August 07, 2012 - 13:53

No reason to let this loser out of jail!! Keep him locked up!

• JOE BLOW YOURSELF
      August 07, 2012 - 14:36

Really? Keep him locked up for being drunk and having 4 pills on him? You're what's wrong with society, Joe.

• HAHA JOE
      August 08, 2012 - 10:09

I agree with the other commentor on your post; You are what's wrong with society in this day in age.