Kent to replace Conway's tools

Shayna Conway's father was the victim of theft from a Habitat for Humanity build site last week

Scott Conway, a contractor from Ottawa who is volunteering on a Habitat for Humanity House where his daughter Shayna will live, works on the home Saturday. All his tools were stolen from a trailer on the Buell Road site

Scott Conway is back in business, building a Habitat for Humanity home in Mermaid.

The carpenter from Ottawa had his tools stolen last week.

Kent Building Supplies have offered to provide Conway with a gift card to replace his stolen tools, said Susan Zambonin, executive director of Habitat for Humanity, P.E.I.

“This very generous offer by Kent Building Supplies P.E.I. It means Scott can fully contribute to building his daughter’s home. We really appreciate this.”

She said Kent is a true friend of Habitat for Humanity.

“We also want to thank all others who have made contributions.“

Last Wednesday, commercial grade tools worth $3,000 were stolen from a P.E.I. Habitat for Humanity home being built for the family of the lone survivor of a murder-suicide where four young people were killed in Alberta last December. The tools belong to Shayna Conway's father, Scott, who came to volunteer and help with the build in Mermaid.

In February, Habitat for Humanity chose Conway's family for a new house. It was an anonymous process, with Habitat's judges not knowing the family's identity or connection to the tragedy in Alberta.

“Now, the project can get some great momentum.” said Mark Rodd, volunteer co-chair of the Mermaid build project.

“Kent Building Supplies is another great example of a company that cares about the community. This announcement is a morale booster for the family and for all the volunteers working to get the home built,” said Rodd.

Organizations: Habitat for Humanity, Kent Building Supplies P.E.I.

Geographic location: Ottawa, Alberta

Comments

Comments

• andre' in cornwall
    August 01, 2012 - 19:57

KISS anyone, its what Business wants; Kent needs tax right (write) off…check the records…what’s the name of this paper, kiss up…what of the real thoughtful donations…will any others be mentioned sir/mama news?

• Very Impressed
    August 01, 2012 - 07:50

WAY TO GO KENT !! There couldn't of been a more generous contribution than that.

• way to go kent
    August 01, 2012 - 07:13

First, let me say that when I read about another construction site tool theft, I thought ''Oh well - another drug dealer must be shaking her/his addicts for payment. They'll never find those tools.'' But to see the community, including a business like Kent Building Supplies step up and provide for the replacement of these tools - that is amazing. I have to say that as a home owner and a consumer in Charlottetown, I have found my dealings at the Kent store on Allen Street to be among the best experiences in a long line of dealing with building supply stores. You can't beat their location, their selection, nor can you beat the service given by their employees. All in all it is a win win win situation for that company and now to see them give back to the community in such a public way is such an added bonus (I am sure they also give much more privately as well). You can bet that I'll be giving my business to them for years to come.

• Mike Thorpe
    August 01, 2012 - 06:30

I was one of the OTHERS that donated $700.00 toward the replacement of Scotts tools but I am not as big as Irving so my name doesnt matter Come on Guardian if you want to crow about something mention the small guys too that donated or dont mention names at all.Im just glad that I ,Home Hardware Rustico and The Churchill Arms were able to help and we did it becauise we felt for Scott not to gain publicity .but there again,we dont have a big PR department to make us look good.Oh and by the way,Im MPT Installations Now were even ,thanks

• Geez Mike
      August 01, 2012 - 09:53

Geez Mike, did you donate this money for publicity? Come on man. There are many who have donated money to help the Conway family, and the other families of the victims of this horrible tragedy thoughout the past year. Most of them don't care if they get the kudos for doing this. People who genuinely just want to help will donate anonymously and not worry about getting the credit. This is not about you, it's about these poor people who went through horror and people are just trying to help lift the burden of this. It was nice that you donated this money, but if you did it to get a plug in for your business, then you did it for the wrong reason. You pay advertisers to plug your business, you don't pretend to genuinely care for somebody but are really donating to get plugs in for your business.

• Gerard
    July 31, 2012 - 21:36

A grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat big THANKS to Kent Bldg. Supplies for that generous deed. That shows that GOOD still prevails and that LOW LIFE SCUMS will never, never prevail or win in this world. ( I JUST CAN'T POSSIBLY BELIEVE THAT WE HAVE SUCH SCUM BREATHING OUR AIR) Hope that whoever stole the tools feels proud of him/her self.

• Garry
    July 31, 2012 - 19:46

Just a great a contirbution from a company that cares what happens in their community. Way to go Kent!

• Anne Hemphill
    July 31, 2012 - 19:28

All our big businesses can learn from this gestue of kindness!

• Very Good
    July 31, 2012 - 19:11

I personally want to thank Irving's for their kind gift , they are certaintly a benfit company that we are lucky to have on PEI . They seem to come through in time of need all over this Island . Thank You to the whole Irving family .

• Donnie
    July 31, 2012 - 16:07

Big congratulations to Kent for stepping up!

• Proud Islander
      July 31, 2012 - 19:47

Kudos to Kent.... First Mark Rodd and the Rodd Resorts; now Kent Building Supplies Next time someone wants to take a swipe at big business..... please remember these acts of kindness from Island "Big Business"