'Schleprock' to be wed Friday the 13th

Jim Day

A few bad breaks, like the ones that left Melanie Dyment in two casts, won't keep her from marrying Michael Gorveatt on Friday the 13th. Good luck.

Oh to be lucky in love.

Well, for Melanie Dyment, the jury is still out.

She is a self-professed Schleprock: a person the Urban Dictionary describes as one who is said to be unlucky or extremely unfortunate.

"I always say if I didn't have bad luck I would have no luck,'' said Dyment, a 37-year-old teacher living just outside Tyne Valley in Port Hill.

A lot of strange mishaps have befallen Dyment over the years. She cited a string of nasty complications following mouth surgery as one Schleprockish event that immediately springs to mind.

But her fortunes took a positive turn while spending March break in Mexico with Michael Gorveatt, her partner of three years.

Gorveatt, 39, a mechanic who lives with Dyment in Port Hill, proposed marriage. Dyment accepted.

The pair decided to get married early this summer. She suggested one attention-grabbing date in particular and Gorveatt, who is not the least bit superstitious, agreed.

The couple returned to P.E.I. and started preparing to tie the knot on July 13. That is Friday the 13th to be exact.

Dyment's mother did her best to coax another date for the marriage — just about any date other than that one.

But Dyment sees Friday the 13th as perhaps a way to confront her bad-luck demons, maybe even to exorcise all those little Schleprockers for good.

Others found the date fitting.

"Most people just laugh because they know me,'' she said.

"They know I'm a Schleprock.''

All the wedding plans went without a hitch. A romantic honeymoon in New York was also booked.

Then that old Schleprock factor showed up weeks before the Friday the 13th wedding.

Dyment was attending her 20-year school reunion on June 20 "looking real good.''

She was wearing high heels to die for. While dancing with friends, her shoes proved to be painful if not deadly.

Dyment tumbled to the floor. She broke her right ankle and fractured a bone in her left foot.

The injury has left her using a walker — yes, the kind some grandmothers use at nursing homes — to travel short distances. For longer stretches, she hops in a wheelchair.

So she has guaranteed an elegant walk down the aisle on her wedding day is not in the cards. She may be rolled down but she hopes to hop along behind her walker.

At least one other wedding cast member will, like Dyment, be a casted participant.

Gorveatt's young niece will serve as one of the flower girls with her right arm in a cast thanks to a fall off a teeter-totter just two weeks ago.

And there will be a 14-year-old usher with a bandage wrapped over a finger that he injured Monday while whittling wood.

For Dyment's own ill-timed dance floor tumble, family and friends have been offering up well-intentioned "God love ya'' and "you poor thing'' left, right and centre.

Still, despite the pre-wedding setbacks, Dyment feels like a lucky gal these days.

She is banking on Gorveatt's good luck countering her own bad luck.

"I'm just really happy to be marrying Mike,'' she said.

"Everything else doesn't really matter.''

Geographic location: Tyne Valley, Mexico, Port Hill P.E.I. New York

Comments

Comments

• Well Now
    July 08, 2012 - 13:03

To Seriously.......and anyone else complaining about this article. This is NOT a "who has it worst contest". Stop trying to say that other people have it worse. There are MUCH worse issues in the world all over. EVERYONE knows that. Everyone realizes that worse fates could have befallen her. Stop trying to cut down a good news story. She's staying strong and positive in less than ideal circumstances. Not all news has to be about the horrors of cancer, or car accidents or people dying. Also, I'm not sure where you're going with your comment "....she's finally found someone to marry her..." but I find that a rude comment to make. For someone so concerned with what should make the news you'd think that you would be equally critical with your choice of words. Sad state of affairs that we have to cut people down because she doesn't have it hard enough in your point of view.

• Seriously
    July 07, 2012 - 06:56

Have to say, this is by far one of the most ridiculous stories that have been posted, in a long time. There is much bigger news happening across this little old island that gets missed every day. I mean great that she's finally found someone to marry her, but that doesn't call for press. As for her luck, I still believe that there are worst things that could have happened to warrant a story, and many others that have had just as muh bad luck happen in the span of their lives and worse.

• HEY
    July 06, 2012 - 14:40

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and if thats the extent of your bad lucky you can take comfort in knowing others are much worse off.

• Neal
    July 06, 2012 - 12:56

Conrad, Take a pill and relax!These two people are great friends and people!There wedding day is going to be great and I can't wait for it to happen.I wish you guys all the best and see you at the wedding.

• Well now
    July 06, 2012 - 10:29

To Conrad....yes people get married every day...but how many break bones in both of their feet 2 weeks before the big day AND have to cancel their honeymoon because of the injuries? Despite all of that....she's trying to maintain a positive attitude and outlook. This is more of a human interest story about a woman who could be broken by this horrible turn of events before she gets to walk down the aisle...but she is staying strong, positive and trying to focus on the fact that she will soon marry the man she loves. It can be easily said that MOST women plan their wedding and their big day....sometimes years in advance....I don't imagine any say to themselves "I sure hope I break bones in both my feet two weeks before the best day of my life and my honeymoon. That'd make my wedding awesome!" This is not just a typical wedding story.

• Good luck
    July 06, 2012 - 07:51

You are lucky!!! Things don't get you down and you have a great out look on things! Hope you have a wonderful day and a long life together. Happy for you both. Best of luck

• Melissa
    July 06, 2012 - 07:26

I got married on a Friday the 13th eight years ago this year and we're still going strong! Wishing you all the best and that your day (and following life!) is filled with good fortune!

• conrad
    July 05, 2012 - 23:32

Is this news for the Guardian? People get married everyday. What the f.... ?

• Beckie Mullally
    July 05, 2012 - 22:28

Oh Melanie, I heard about your "predicament". I know your wedding day will be all you've dreamed of - that's just the kinda gal you are. I know you will not let two broken legsl stand in your way of your dream day. Can't wait to hear all about the wedding! Congrats to you & Mike!!!

• Rhonda Macarthur
    July 05, 2012 - 21:35

I love you Melanie. Walker or no walker you will be stunning :)

• intobed
    July 05, 2012 - 21:08

I love your story! Good luck, and congratulations!