Reproductive Rights campaigner targeted in youth ambassador race

Teresa Wright

Kandace Hagan

P.E.I.’s abortion debate has spilled into a regional campaign aimed at recognizing youth ambassadors for change.

Kandace Hagen, one of the founding members of the group P.E.I. Reproductive Rights Organization (PRRO), has been lobbying the province to make changes to its abortion policies.

She was recently accepted as a finalist for the Active 8 Campaign, an initiative of the Atlantic Council for International Cooperation (ACIC) trying to promote youth leaders working for change in their communities and the world.

She is one of only two Islanders chosen as a finalist for this competition and is currently in second place with more than 300 pledges. The winner receives $1,000 for his or her campaign.

But not everyone is supportive of Hagen’s bid.

On Monday, an email penned by P.E.I. pro-life activist Ann Marie Tomlins was sent to multiple people, encouraging them to stop Hagen from winning this competition by voting for the other frontrunner in the race.

“Kandace Hagen, who is trying to improve access to abortion in P.E.I. is in second place. Tara Brinston is in first place. Please have all the youth you know sign in and vote for TARA BRINSTON. We want to make sure that Kandace doesn’t win this award for youth leadership. The vote is close so please send this to all the youth and youth groups you know,” the email said.

Tomlins said she was not speaking on behalf of the P.E.I. Right To Life Association, of which she is spokesperson, but she was exercising her right to encourage pro-life youth to express their opinions through this contest.

“It is important to note that it is not Kandace personally that I oppose, but rather, what she is promoting,” Tomlins wrote in an email to The Guardian.

“I simply exercised my right to pass the information on and encourage pro-life-minded youth to vote as well.”

“Reproductive rights and justice is one of the issues that the ACIC is working towards so not only is it going against me and what I’m trying to promote, but really it’s hurting the campaign as a whole and what they represent as an organization.”

Hagen noted she was only narrowly behind Brinston until Tuesday when votes for Brinston jumped ahead by almost 100.

“(Brinston) could, of course, have gathered those pledges herself, but I did think it was kind of interesting that on the same day

the message went out there was such a huge jump in votes.”

Organizations: P.E.I. Reproductive Rights Organization, ACIC, Atlantic Council for International Cooperation Life Association

Geographic location: P.E.I.

• Tabiri
    February 27, 2012 - 02:10

Wow, Tomlins made a mockery of the entire contest. and the democratic system. Screw voting for people because you agree with what they stand for. I find this very offensive to Kandace, obviously, but also to Tara. Tomlins is basically telling people she doesn't care what Tara is fighting for, but to just vote for her because she's NOT Kandace. That's absolutely horrible. All of these young people are fighting for causes they believe in and their hard work should be acknowledged for who they are and what they're doing, not who they aren't. Shameful.

• I support Kandace
    February 23, 2012 - 17:49

I have never been more ashamed to be from PEI. I am a UPEI graduate, DVA employee and volunteer with several sports teams in Charlottetown and I have had an abortion. Do I regret my decision? No, not at all. I regret my family doctor refusing to provide me with any information regarding my choices including that the cost could potentially be covered, what to expect during and after, and where to go for support. I regret having to travel to Fredricton NB for the procedure. Although the staff at the Morgetaler clinic were wonderful, the total costs for the trip and procedure well exceeded $1000 which does not include mine and my partners lost wages. I regret the pro-life advocates who yelled at me outside of the clinic on what can only be described as the darkest day of my life. I regret suffering from post-partum depression after the procedure and having no one to talk to as my family doctor refused to discuss my abortion. What I regret most, is that I live in a province where I was made to feel ashamed of my decision to recieve a simple, safe and legal medical procedure. My decision to have an abortion was not entered into lightly. I had no desire to be a young, uneducated mother who would struggle to provide for a family I was not prepared for. I am now in a position in my life where I could support and raise a child and provide him or her with the life it deserves and when that day comes it will be because it was my choice. Kandace - you should be so very proud of everything you have accomplished to date. I have pledged my support for you and also got several friends & family members to do the same.

• Brenda Bernard
    February 23, 2012 - 10:23

To Support Kandace go to Choose Kandace Hagan. Above her picture is a box called "Toggle Pledges" that when clicked will drop down the list of pledges. Kandace"s is Pledge # 5. Paste it or in your own words in your pledge area box under where you put your name. Click "pledge" or "send" and your vote will support Kandace and her brave Leadership Role for Awareness of Women and their Reproductive Health and Rights Worldwide. All the best in your endeavours, Kandace! It is so good to see these 8 young leaders take a stand and follow their hearts. All the best to each and every one of you. You make this world a better place.

• Alex
      February 23, 2012 - 19:47

In the words of Barack Obama: "Now, I may be opposed to abortion for religious reasons, to take one example, but if I seek to pass a law banning the practice I cannot simply point to the teachings of my church or evoke God's will. I have to explain why abortion violates some principle that is accessible to people of all faiths, including those with no faith at all."

• Twiggy
    February 23, 2012 - 09:24

Normally I do not engage anti-choicers directly and advise activists for women's reproductive rights to do the same. There is no sensible debate with such ardent agitators. I believe on PEI this is particularly toxic group that holds back the rights of most Islanders in a variety of ways. So I ignore them, But I will make an exception for this Tomlins woman. This is the most shameful attack by a member of the older generation on a young person I have seen in a very long time. It is disrgcaeful beyond words. But she has at the ready the hard core of haters and abusers who are ready to attack the courage of such a young leader as Kandace with every fibre of their beings. But this too is a distraction. The real problem today is the very two-faced Liberals who pretend progressive views during elections while quietly piling up the votes of the anti-choicers behind the scenes. Shawn Murphy called them hypocrities on public accounts and yes frankly they are hypocrites on human rights too. Huge shame on Premier Ghiz, sitting back like a coward while his inaction allows the trampling of a daring young woman by rights denying haters. Huge huge shame Robert. You are more backward, archaic and abusive than premiers that have come before you. What a disgrace for a young man to behave so irresponsibly. I am disgusted at Doug Currie for how he misled me and many others in the last election campaign. Two faced is the term that comes to mind. Then there is Liberal MP Sean Casey, hiding from the resolution of his own national party on PEI's delinquency on abortion services. You are cowards all. You are anti-woman. You are down on the poor. You all deserve zero support from any Islander who holds progressive views. You foster the kind of hate we see in Tomlins' actions. Good luck, Kandance. I wil put up a pledge for you. All fair minded Islanders should do the same. Are we ever going to stand up for ourselves in this province? If you want fairness and equality vote NDP. Let's end the Liberal lies. Once and for all. Remember do not focus on the anti-choicers and the woman haters. Keep the focus on the hypocritical men who speak to us out of both sides of their mouths at the same times- Ghiz, Currie and Casey.

• NOT SO
    February 23, 2012 - 07:07

To "I love my husband," it's not true that all the pro-life supporters are now in their eighties, far from it, we have thousands of young people, some younger than the one pictured above, who are passionate about stamping out abortion and all forms of BULLYING.

• Choice
    February 22, 2012 - 19:36

Kandace, you're a leader for women's right to choose on PEI--something that has clearly been missing for far too long. I wish you every success. You will make a difference. As for push-back from the religious zealots and the government which seems to cater to them, they eventually will lose the battle.

• Notta Busybody
    February 22, 2012 - 19:26

After reading this article, I am curious about the contest and how I can support Kandace. If an adult can smear a young person who is able to put herself out there to promote her cause, and risk controversy and bashing from an old busybody, then she is one brave youngster and deserves my vote. I don't think the award is based on subject matter as much as it is on leadership, and this young lady obviously has it.

February 22, 2012 - 17:40

honestly, this kind of action is exactly how the RIGHT to LIFE(aka ANTI-CHOICERS!) do everything to try to keep hurting other people's lives in order to protect "life"( not everyone else's lives.. "life"). I'm embarrassed for all of you, that you have to resort to petty personal attacks to get your "point" across. I sincerely hope this backfires on them, and you get a bunch more votes out of it Kandace! You are great!

• I'm sorry but
    February 22, 2012 - 16:34

you anti-choicers are up against the law, and the law will prevail on PEI, even though we have a mountain of ignorance to climb first, we'll get there, we have our mountain climbing gear on! Thank Goddess we have folks like Kandace standing up for our rights. Keep it up Kandace! How inspirational your story is! How creepy are the actions of A.M. Tomlins ... but then, the religious right on PEI hasn't shown it's real face, until now. We knew it would come out sooner or later. We have rights under the Law and we live in a country that has said we have the right to decide what to do about pregnancy. And we have the right to demand that our Premier follow the law. And we have folks like you to remind us when perhaps we've waited too long to speak out against ignorance, so I officially thank you for the reminder!

• RE THE LAW
      February 23, 2012 - 09:40

Nobody is required to obey an unjust law, it's a matter of conscience. Ask the military!

• no place for religion
    February 22, 2012 - 16:20

First it was religious it is bigotry against a young women who is not afraid to make a statement on women"s rights...which is a right under our charter...this could backfire to the the pro-life people....and give this young lady the support she needs.................How do we vote ..she deserves our support .......

February 22, 2012 - 15:57

MITCH writes about a "cluster of cells" in a woman's womb, but does Mitch realize that he himself was once a "cluster of cells" and that this "cluster of cells" could potentially be HIS OWN SON or daughter? When you plant vegetables or flowers, don't you start with a speck of something that looks nothing like the end product? I am dumbfounded at the sheer stupidity and stubbornnes of those who see absolutely no harm in killing off our own human species by the thousands-- for their own selfishness.

• not even prochoice
    February 22, 2012 - 15:51

This is hateful. Absolutely hateful. What possesses someone to discourage that kind of young entrepreneurship? Good on Kandace. Keep fighting, girl.

• In shock
    February 22, 2012 - 15:12

There is a heartbeat at 5 or 6 weeks of pregnancy, are you all saying that it is not considered human with a beating heart. Most women don't even know they're are pregnant till around then. I'm sorry but I do not support abortion. I think it should only be done when the mother or baby's life depends on it. Having it easily available is only going to open the door to use it as a form of birth control. There are other options such as adoption. There are many families that want kids and medically cannot have them. As for those attacking people because of their beliefs with the should be ashamed of yourselves. Calling them "christian idiots" and the "sky daddy". have some major issues that you may want to get looked at. I can't believe that the guardian allowed comments like that to be posted. You should be ashamed of yourself as well for allowing a post like that.

• she-ra
      February 23, 2012 - 01:17

In shock, there is absolutely no credible evidence that making abortion accessible leads people relying on it as their main type of birth control. it's not a decision that people make lightly (and for the record, abortion is technically birth control by definition. it controls birth). adoption is an alternative to parenthood, not pregnancy. for all those couples unable to have children, why not adopt any of the many children in the adoption or foster care systems. pregnant people do not owe them anything.

• nope
      February 23, 2012 - 06:47

Not until birth is it a human being. That is law. Good on Kandace Hagen for her leadership. Boo on Premier Robert Ghiz for abdicating his leadership. He reminds me of Mayor Peter Kelly in Halifax - completely ineffectual.

• Mary MacDonald
    February 22, 2012 - 15:08

Men who campaign against abortion have always puzzled me. What man other than a control freak cares about what a woman does with her own body? Men who are driven by an irrational urge to control women more often than not are wife-beaters.

• Maybe
      February 22, 2012 - 15:25

Maybe men should also not worry about abuse. don't like abuse, don't abuse.

• NewNDP
    February 22, 2012 - 14:33

Thank you to the Premier and the Health Minister (and Olive Crane but as PC, that's no surprise) and Sean Casey for showing their true colors as they relate to the reproductive rights of women. You've shown me the way...right to the NDP. Great job Kandace! If the Right to Life folks had any sense they'd take their arguement to court, just as folks did decades ago to secure a woman's right to not be coherced into carrying an unwanted pregnancy. But then anyone who participates in this kind of smear tactic, clearly has no sense. Women on PEI are being systematically discriminated against and it's time we all stood up for some real change on PEI. Hit them where it counts folks, with your votes! PEI NDP and PEI Greens support women's rights...let's makes sure they have a louder voice in our politics in the future!

• me too
      February 22, 2012 - 15:15

I also ripped up my Liberal membership when Doug Currie came out against women. Now a proud NDP member.

• Hatsoff
    February 22, 2012 - 14:17

Hats off to you Kandace! And all the participants in the Active-8 campaign. This offensive tactic by the Right to Life folks is exactly why more youth need to be free to speak up for rights, to ask for global change and to point out where society is falling short. Your determination and your courage to stand up, in the face of such ignorance is a lesson to us all. I will be talking with my kids tonight about your work, I hope they are as inspired by you as I am.

• ProLaw
    February 22, 2012 - 14:12

This is a clear example of when people have no standing in law, they resort to personal attacks. So lame! So last century! So the reason I am supporting Kandace and this great campaign and voting for the person whose work I believe in. You should be proud Kandace, you've shown us all what the Right to Life campaign is all about. You've shown us all that on PEI, you have to demand what is rightfully yours, under the law. Way to go!

• activism is good
    February 22, 2012 - 14:09

To all the Christian idiots supporting the Govt of PEI's stance on abortion - keep your belief in your ''sky daddy'' to yourself. Church must be kept separate from state for a reason and it's because of homo sapiens like yourselves.

• Atheists against abortion
      February 22, 2012 - 15:29

Abortion should only be used for eugenics purposes. Having individuals make the decision doesn't allow natural selection to work.

• Lynn
      February 22, 2012 - 21:46

What if I'm not a Christian and I still oppose abortion as a form of birth conrtrol? I believe the church and state should remain seperate, but that doesn't mean I think the state is correct on this issue. Not everyone who is against abortion as brth control is a right-wing bible thumper.

• Downwithfundamentalism
    February 22, 2012 - 14:08

I'm voting for Kandace and her work to stand up for women's rights. We have the same rights as women across Canada but we are being discriminated against! Wake up PEI! The Premier and Health Minister are scared to do anything, hope everyone who voted for those two is happy with their vote. What a waste.

• Ashamed
    February 22, 2012 - 14:02

Absolutely disgusting action on the part of Tomlins and any anti-choice folks. You support someone because you support their work, not because you oppose the work of another! How embarrassing for the Right to Life folks on PEI, you have shown yourselves to be ignorant as well as unenlightened as to what country you live in and what rights women have under the Law. There is no doubt that Tomlins is speaking for the Right to Life folks...that's what being a spokesperson is all about. This is years of religious influence on the PEI gov't landscape regarding anything about sexual health, sexuality, at work. Great work by all the participants in this Active-8 Campaign, good thing there are young adults working for real change.

February 22, 2012 - 13:51

Is this how the Right to Life does business? WOW! What a dirty move. Seems they must be getting desperate since their supporters are all in their 80's now.

February 22, 2012 - 14:46

• Take a Moment
      February 22, 2012 - 17:23

To the commenter who responded to "I Love My Husband" -- I'm pretty sure "I Love My Husband" was remarking on the desperation involved in a stunt like this, desperation no doubt owing (in part) to the fact that most members of pro-life organizations are senior citizens with very few youth willing to carry on the movement (and thank god for that). Take a minute and read his/her comment again. There wasn't any old-age-bashing there.

• consequences
    February 22, 2012 - 13:47

I hope that Ann Marie's behaviour is not accepted in pro-life circles. Disgusting, gruesome attempt to undermine the leadership of a young person. Is that what being pro-life is about?

• Garth Staples
    February 22, 2012 - 12:53

I guess some people believe that if you can't win the debate shoot the messanger.

• Not impressed
    February 22, 2012 - 12:53

Tomlins has a strange notion of what "rights" are. She thinks she has a right to do what she likes, no matter how inappropriate or thoughtless, but refuses to recognize real rights under law. This kind of behaviour represents the worst of anti-choice zealots - proclaim to be on a crusade for life, while showing a complete distain for her fellow humans. It's selfish and hypocritical.

• Geoff
    February 22, 2012 - 12:51

I can't believe this young woman wants the government to provide a service to kill babies. Any woman who wants to murder their baby is obviously extremely sick in the head and the government shouldn't succumb to the demands of murderers. I think Mrs. Tomlins did the right thing. At least she tried.

• Mitch
      February 22, 2012 - 13:04

I can't believe you'd consider a cluster of cells withing the first term to be a life, unless you hadn't really done any research and were just jumping to conclusions. Not to mention Abortions aren't illegal in Canada or on PEI she just wants people to be able to make up there minds for themselves. As opposed to a cluster of cells with no feeling or mind, which is what constitutes a person.

• Island Dave
    February 22, 2012 - 12:44

Good on Ms. Wright for exposing the desperate tactics being used by these anti-choice dinosaurs. One day--and that day IS coming--the women of PEI will be afforded the same rights as those of the rest of the country. The only question is how much will all of this cost when the gov't fights a rear-guard battle in the courts to avoid upholding the rights of Island women.

February 22, 2012 - 12:42

Tomlin says she wants to exercise her 'right'.... WELL SO DO WE. Makes PEI's abortion policies fair!

• SO Teric
    February 22, 2012 - 12:41

I think that if people saw the underbelly of the 'pro life' campaign they might be less likely to lend them their support...

• OffIsland
    February 22, 2012 - 12:40

What an outstanding motivator for other Island youth to know that they can come out and not be afraid of any discussion of change, and be supported for their courage. Are you serious! And here I wondered why more youth aren't speaking out on a whole host of issues that they face today. Not only do they not get support from government if the issue is 'too emotional' but they get attacked personally by ... well, you know who by. Gross, completely gross behavior.

• Mary MacDonald
    February 22, 2012 - 12:31

Ann Marie Tomlins was an anti-abortion crusader in Halifax back in the early 90s. She has taken her campaign to the Island, I see. Ms. Tomlins is a throwback to the Dark Ages. Picking on Island women in this way is truly reprehensible.

• Please No Death Cab for Cutie
    February 22, 2012 - 12:22

Why do Islanders think they are behind the rest of Canada by not offering abortions? You are ahead - way ahead. It's just too bad you could not be more of a frontrunner on stopping abortion. I cannot wait for the day when young people will look back at our generation - the age of abortion - and say, 'What a selfish, self-centred lot they were!" Because it is. Abortion is selfish and self-serving. KH would get more votes and probably would win if she could only see that she is just going with the status quo. Pro-choice just ain't cool no more.

• Island Dave
      February 22, 2012 - 14:46

So going back to coat hangers in back alleys is being ahead of the country? Luckily, I live in a country where women have legal access to abortion services, and where those rights are guaranteed by the laws of the nation. Perhaps you should make a point of visiting Canada some day. It's quite nice.

• Keith
    February 22, 2012 - 12:22

Kandace should win fair and square.

• Sad Prince County
    February 22, 2012 - 12:20

Imagine... hurting many people so that you can push your sick agenda... Tomlins should be ashamed...

• disgusting
    February 22, 2012 - 12:18

This is gross. I'm going to pledge for Kandace now.

• Jane
    February 22, 2012 - 12:14

It's embarrassing to me that people who stand for 'loving them both' are targeting an individual. Ann Marie Tomlins got what was coming to her.

• Gord
    February 22, 2012 - 12:00

Looks like Kandace needs to understand what she is really supporting, and anyone else who is pro-choice. Biology is crystal clear that at the moment of conception (also known as fertilization), a unique, organism comes into existence. Since this new life possesses human DNA and is the offspring of human parents, it can legitimately only be described as human life. As far as observable science is concerned, human life begins at conception. At the moment of conception, a male sperm unites with a female ovum. The single-celled entity formed by the sperm and oocyte (egg) is known as a zygote. At conception, the zygote has 23 chromosomes and approximately 50,000 genes from each parent, which combine to determine all of one's physical characteristics, including sex, facial features, body type, and color of hair, eyes, and skin. An abortion kills the life of a baby after it has begun. It is dangerous to your life and health. It may make you sterile, so that when you want a child you cannot have it. Would women choose abortion if wombs had windows? Advances in technology, particularly 3D and 4D ultrasound, provide a window into the womb, a picture that this is indeed a human being, not — as many abortion clinics tell unsuspecting women — a "blob of tissue." Whereas Roe [v. Wade] claimed we do not know when life begins, ultrasounds show that it is clearly before birth. The images are: Factual — They cannot dispute scientific evidence. Positive — Display the beauty of life. Educational — Reduce crisis pregnancies. Informative — Allow an informed choice. Aid bonding — Mother hears the heartbeat and views activity and development of the baby. Supportive — Fathers, families and friends are educated to provide encouragement and support. Let me just add that women who want to have complete control over their bodies and do what they want, when they want, with it, do have that free will to do as they please. However what they fail to realize is that are the consequences emotionally and physically that come from having an Abortion. Talk to the many women who have had an abortion and wish they had been educated more or told to not go through with it, or given some sort of encouragement. I do not support the pro-choice movement. I support the life that has been created in side that womb being given the chance to live and to not pay for the irresponsible choice or actions forced on that individual. Every life has a purpose and we are not to play God in making the choice in who gets to live and who dies in the womb.

• sure
      February 22, 2012 - 13:33

Sure, if that's truly the case, why do you need to sabotage Kandace's campaign by skewing facts and numbers?

• James
      February 22, 2012 - 13:43

Too long and opinionated, did not read.

• Been There
      February 22, 2012 - 14:11

I am sure Ms. Hagen and the women she is aligned with have talked with those who have had this procedure. I know I have and have not seen any repurcussions except personal beliefs being spewed at them. More importantly, these women have spoken with women who felt they did not have appropriate access to health care services and took matters into their own hands. The consequences are devestating every time.

• Amanda
      February 22, 2012 - 14:46

Get over yourself.

• Renee
    February 22, 2012 - 11:53

Very much ashamed of our Premier and Health Minister. Ashamed to be from PEI at this moment. Ashamed that my kids might come into contact with this kind of ignorance. I hope everyone on PEI has a conversation with their kids and uses this as an example of why they need to learn to speak up for themselves because when they need it, their politicians may not be there to defend them. In fact, it's a good bet when the PEI Liberals are around, and that includes Mr. Casey.

• TO RENEE
      February 22, 2012 - 13:52

Renee talks about "why they need to learn to speak up for themselves because when they need it, their politicians may not be there to defend them." Renee are you thinking also about the conceived yet unborn who wil have nobody to defend them? Our future POPULATION, remember. Fair is fair. I am amazed at the slick words used in argument against those who want to protect the most innocent and helpless. This abortion is shown as something good, but it's a heinous evil, but for selfish reasons, pro-abortionists close their ears, minds, hearts and SOULS to it. Some day it will be too late to re-claim the precious lives of these "trashed" CHILDREN.

• ProudtobeanIslander
    February 22, 2012 - 11:45

Wow...I'm sure the Youth on PEI who are currently fighting other issues related to Sexual Health, Sexuality or other important issues will be glad to see that the fundamentalists know how to fight dirty! And when you aren't looking, they are not only attacking your issue, but you personally. For everyone who has wanted to support Kandace, or the work of PRRO, or the work of any young Islander who is actively invovled in global change, I hope you realize that this type of ignorance has to challenged, today, tomorrow and any time it rears it's ugly head. To the Liberal gov't of PEI, and the Health Minister in particular....SHAME on you for not standing up against this kind of ignorance. I am so thankful that our youth are stronger than you!

• Robin
    February 22, 2012 - 11:42

Re: "Hagen said she is frustrated the abortion debate has been brought into the Active 8 competition." I think Ms. Hagen did that herself when she said, in another media source, that she would use the prize money to help transport babies to their death.

• Stupid
      February 22, 2012 - 11:54

So only rich people should be able to have a say over their bodies?

• Gord
      February 22, 2012 - 12:03

Well Said Robin!

• Gord
      February 22, 2012 - 12:16

Well Said Robin!

• Jason D
    February 22, 2012 - 11:40

This whole issue is ridiculous. PEI already pays for abortions in other provinces. The only difference here is that poorer people must find the funds to travel to NS or NB. Why are disadvantaged women treated differently here? I hope these "Bible Thumpers" die off soon.

• JIngling Jem
      February 22, 2012 - 12:28

Why is it that when someone raises a rationale for constructive dialogue in this province, they are suddenly labelled as "Bible thumpers"? Any debate on changes to public policy that have the potential to leave a long term impact on the Island (and Islanders) is a good thing. In fact, consultation and discussion are necessary components of democracy! So rather than criticize, let's become informed individuals. Informed to the extent that the next time you disagree with one's opinion, let's not label everyone who adheres to similar or the same 'constitutionally protected' beliefs with the same brush.

• AnnM.
    February 22, 2012 - 11:39

This is what the 'status quo' gets young Islanders who are standing up for what they believe in. What are other Island Youth to gleen from the actions of Ms. Tomlinson as they decide what issues to stand up for? They will see a gov't that does not acknowledge rights, and ignorance that is let to run rampant. Disgusting to say the least. And what about Tara? Her work to bring awareness to her particular issue has been undermined. This is a blow to the campaign as a whole, ignorance beyond belief. Ms. Tomlinson should be ashamed. Because she has no legal foothold in her opinion, she's dishonored an otherwise wonderful campaign that celebrates youth activism.

• Grace Jones
    February 22, 2012 - 11:37

Hard to believe that one group's agenda set out to destroy the integrity of an entire campaign. Did anyone ask Tara Brinston if she was anti-choice?? I'm guessing not

• IslandMom
    February 22, 2012 - 11:34

What an act of pure ignorance! With her actions Ms. Tomlinson has attacked the spirit of this campaign and disrespected the work of ALL the youth embassadors.

• Geoff
    February 22, 2012 - 11:33

I can't imagine why a young woman would be so adamant for the government to pay for women to kill their own babies. This world has gone insane!

• Miss Lead
    February 22, 2012 - 11:28

She is frustrated that the abortion debate has been brought into the Active 8 competition? What exactly does she expect, for her work to be viewed as separate from the abortion debate? Out of the 8 ambassadors, her cause is the only controversial one, so naturally controversy is going to follow her every move. She needs to get used to it.

• Missy
    February 22, 2012 - 11:26

Wow, how disappointing that a senior citizen is trying to influence a youth ambassador campaign. And people wonder why youth are apathetic about getting involved..

• Lance
    February 22, 2012 - 11:17

Why would you not support the other PEI candidate if you didn't agree with her message? Oh, yeah!.....He is for feeding desperate mothers and their living children. What a petty trivial thing to support for people who call themselves "right to life". And he is from PEI. No thanks to Ann for the support of the youth from the Island.

• Democracy needs dissent
    February 22, 2012 - 10:38

This smear the dissenters who apply laws to behaviour, is a tactic well used by the Liberal party in the election when Spencer Campbell attacked women mistreated by the Ghiz team. You are what you eat and you get what you vote for. Dissent is essential for Democracy. Eat the young?

• Dissenter
      February 22, 2012 - 11:27

Eat the young......or as the conservatives do, eat the young, middle aged and elderly........get rid of the Long Gunregistry but bring forth a abill regarding internet usage.....PC brains hard at work........