Storm now hitting P.E.I.

Wayne Thibodeau

Weather prompts cancellations, school closures, and warnings from the RCMP

Snow is now falling across Prince Edward Island.

A major winter storm is over the Island.

There are no warnings or watches in place for the Island but it will still be a messy night.

About 10 to 15 centimetres of snow is expected to fall before it changes to ice pellets and freezing rain and then to rain after midnight.

Then, the Island will be pelted with about 10 millimetres of rain.

Winds will also be a factor, gusting to 60 kilometres an hour this evening before becoming light overnight.

Temperatures will rise to plus six by morning.

The pending storm prompted schools in the Eastern School District and Western School Board to close two hours early today.

Also affected by this afternoon's pending storm, is the Burns Concert originally scheduled for this evening.

The concert will be held Sunday at the Carrefour Theatre starting at 7 p.m.

It was one of dozens of cancellations across the province as a result of the return to winter weather.

However, the P.E.I. Rocket game scheduled for tonight will take place as scheduled at 7 p.m. The Baie-Comeau Drakkar have already arrived at the Charlottetown Civic Centre and will be ready to hit the ice as scheduled.

Conditions are expected to deteriorate on roadways across the province with a mixture of snow, ice pellets and freezing rain hits the province.

The RCMP issued an advisory this morning asking those who are planning to travel to listen to local weather reports and check the provincial government website http://www.gov.pe.ca/roadconditions/ before heading out. The RCMP also asks travellers to consider delaying travel plans if road conditions are not ideal.

Weather warnings are in place for New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

In New Brunswick, winter storm warnings are in place in northern New Brunswick, freezing rain warnings are in place in central New Brunswick and rainfall warnings are posted for the southern coastline, including the City of Saint John.

In Nova Scotia, rainfall warnings are in place across much of the southern coastline, including Halifax.

For P.E.I. on Saturday, rain will change to a few flurries as the temperature drops to minus 2 in the afternoon.

The sun will come out in the afternoon.

CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST P.E.I. WEATHER FORECAST

YOUR PHOTOS Do you have storm photos? Please send them along to us. We'll post them on website. You can reach me at wthibodeau@theguardian.pe.ca or on Twitter @GuardianWayne.

Geographic location: New Brunswick, P.E.I.

Comments

Comments

• Ryan
    January 27, 2012 - 21:23

MAJOR storm...lol very little on rader towards the east.....everything is MAJOR....with reporters.

• Sue
    January 27, 2012 - 19:23

Let's face it. Nobody really cares about an afternoon off of school. As if the kids are going to be illerate because of two hours of missed time. The crybabies on here just don't like missing out on their babysitting for the afternoon. Yes, it was an inconvience for me to pick up my daughter early today...life happens. Do you also think that the teachers make the call to close schools. Get a grip.

• country boy
    January 27, 2012 - 19:02

RG....All the teachers remained in school until normal school closure time. I hate to call people names but in your case, enough said...Some of your comments...Its not the teachers that are promoting a 65% and you don't have final exams. Its not the teachers that are promoting a low bar. How many parents complain that their kids can't read and how many of those parents actually have books in the home? The most challenged kids come from dysfunctional families. These are the parents that complain the loudest because they need some one to blame for their short comings. If only those parents cared as much for their kids as teachers do. I'm not a teacher, I wouldn't last a week before I'd smack one of these parents that constantly complain and do nothing to help their kids....

• Holy RG
    January 27, 2012 - 16:14

Does RG have kids? We can tell RG is not a kid because a kid wouldn't complain about time off. We can tell RG isn't a bus driver as they take the lives of the children they transport seriously. We can tell RG isn't a teacher who is responsible all day long for our kids, and has to stay at the school anyway and teach the subjects anyway. So, I am personally wondering what the heck difference it makes to RG if the schools are closed for the safety of little children. Very happy to know that RG is watching out the window for the time of the first snowflake...someone has to do it. I am nowhere nearly as afraid of snow as I am of freezing rain. RG, you seriously must be a grouch and if so, is it a green bin you live in?

• Gerry
    January 27, 2012 - 16:10

@RG - are you sitting at home or work as you type your moronic comments?

• at snowy
    January 27, 2012 - 15:28

Yes the poor little teachers and all of their difficulties indeed. The biggest problem is the poorest marks in the western world by unified testing but we hear all this crybaby stuff full time amid all the self congratulations and navel gazing by the teachers. When it snows you do not have to go in the ditch and our bus drivers know to slow down, its the morons with the day off speeding about in the ditch. Our education system in PEI stinks because of poor attendance and poor results. If you really care about your kids move somewhere where they are taught some basics.

• Dear AT Snowy
      January 27, 2012 - 17:35

Pretty obvious you haven't been blessed little people who travel on the bus. It is NOT about the teachers. It is not about the marks. It is about the safety of young children. I care deeply about my kids and my grandkids. I am glad the bus drivers are well trained and have enough sense to know when to take their precious cargo home. sheesh.

• Snowy
    January 27, 2012 - 14:49

@RG PLEASE!!! I hope you are not a parent,if you are god forbid. You dont have a clue what the teachers and staff go through to get these children ready for an early closure day... wipe childs tears for upsetting their day,making sure they get to the right drop off point,making phone calls for parents that have no idea what to do with their child if a storm does happen. Feel free to pick a school on an early closure day and HELP a teacher out then you wont be complaining. Most teachers would rather work the full day then to have this happen in the middle of the day. As we can tell RG you are hard at work as well if you have time to complain on the internet!

• ponytailjones
    January 27, 2012 - 14:05

theweathernetwork.com currently calling for 1cm of snow over the next 24 hours lol. Hope everyone bought lots of canned goods and bottled water, this might be a tough one.

• Gremlins Two
      January 27, 2012 - 14:17

You can bet that all the little Islanders are storming the grocery stores right now to pick up survival supplies lol

• Antoine Dodson
      January 27, 2012 - 14:48

HIDE YOUR KIDS AND HIDE YOUR WIFE! One centimetre of snow is lethal!

• Easy Now
    January 27, 2012 - 13:49

I don't really see the big deal in sending the kids home a few hours early as a precautionary reason. This to me shows that the children getting home safely is their number one priority. Since we don't know the weather forecast right to the minute, these are the kind of things that should be done to ensure the safety of all involved.

• Glad kid is home
    January 27, 2012 - 13:37

I am one parent that is glad the school boards are airing on the side of caution by closing early. There would have been alot of upset parents if the kids were going home at the end of the day in the middle of the storm. Who wants to drive a bus full of kids when you can't see much infront of you because it's snowing and blowing hard. Schools in NS and NB never opened and some places didn't see a flake til amost noon.Bravo to them!

• frank
    January 27, 2012 - 12:36

This is pretty pathetic. Where are they getting the forecast from? Environment Canada is calling for 5cm of snow this afternoon. The ice pellets and freezing rain aren't until tonight.

• country boy
    January 27, 2012 - 12:24

Good call by the school board. No sense taking a chance of getting the buses caught up in blowing snow or freezing rain for a few hours of school. Its easy for people to criticize. Its better to be criticized by arm chair quarterbacks than having to explain an accident that injured one of our students.By the by, the teachers are all in school.

• STRINGBEAN
    January 27, 2012 - 12:05

I find it sooo funny that sooo many take it as a personal insult when school is cancelled or closes early...I mean really,find a cause like the dolphins or clear cutting (wood) would ya !

• JDM
    January 27, 2012 - 12:04

Bring the Children home safe and sound. Someone has to make a decision and I would prefer SAFE THAN SORRY.

• Impressed
    January 27, 2012 - 11:48

RG: I am so glad that you are going to take on the responsibility of all of our Island children if just one of them doesn't make it home because of an accident if you were in charge I would blame you and hope they punish you with the law...As a parent of one of these kids I am glad they made this discision to send my daughter home early, I for one do not like driving on snowy roads and I am sure as hell no going to ask these bus drivers to take on that responsibility. So thank you school board for closing early I appreciate it.....and RG this is the first snow day...so quite your crabbinh.

• Unbelievable
    January 27, 2012 - 11:45

This is so crazy! Why!??!!?!?!

• PF
    January 27, 2012 - 11:42

Why not have school in part os summer, then no worry about missed time in winter.

• intobed
      January 27, 2012 - 15:14

Absolutely right PF. Why not have the school year end just at the Christmas holidays, and the new school year start the first week of March? The mid year "March" break could now be in August. After all, just about everyone posting agrees child safety is paramount, and winter driving is dangerous. So lets eliminate school for two winter months.

• Got to luv Fridays
    January 27, 2012 - 11:32

My name says it all.

• safety
    January 27, 2012 - 11:30

RG... There has not been a school closure this school yr in Eastern school district and there has only been 1 one hour delay. I would rather the school board errs on the side of safety. I am sure they have been in contact with weather officials and have seen that conditions got bad quickly in NB

• Rodney Whitty
    January 27, 2012 - 11:23

RG..... I guess we will leave child safety to chance. Most students are transported on buses without seatbelts and those with vehicles are in the most part inexperienced drivers. Not to mention the teachers that have to stay after school to finish up. Pretty sure there hasn't been a snow day yet and it's almost February. Shame on you RG for your short sightness.

• Disgusted
    January 27, 2012 - 11:02

You have to be kidding me ........ Looked at the radar and we wont see any snow for a couple of hours. School will be almost over by the time it starts. Where is the common sense. Where is the Premier by the way. Haven't heard a word from him since Christmas. Who's steering this ship anyway ?

• RG
    January 27, 2012 - 10:43

They must need to meet a snow day quota for January or something. There's not a snowflake outside yet. Even if it started right now, it'd be a few hours before the roads would get bad which would be plenty of time to plan a closure at that time.

• Oh Please
      January 27, 2012 - 11:18

Personally I think it's a wise move to get the children home safely BEFORE it begins. There is nothing wrong with being cautious. There have been too many people injured and killed because they were driving in unsafe conditions. I think it quite bold for this comment, "They must need to meet a snow day quota for January or something." My children have more acceptable ways of saying things....

• SNOWDAY
      January 27, 2012 - 12:04

RG, its called Planning ahead, we wouldn't want buses in the ditch with 40+ kids, Plus then parents angry because they didn't close early. Use your head before posting a knee jerk reaction, and think logistically about your comments.

• Brittany
      January 27, 2012 - 12:15

To RG; You would rather the schools wait until the roads get bad before sending our kids out on them? I would much rather them miss two hours of school as a precaution, then have them go home later on dangerous roads.

• Bella
      January 27, 2012 - 13:28

@RG - Do you have school aged children? There's no quota or something. It's good planning for the children's safety and less cars on the roads.

• RG
      January 27, 2012 - 14:25

As expected, I get a bunch of people saying my comment is stupid and it's better to be cautious. Well, it's now 3:30 and still not a snowflake to be seen. Good job giving a free afternoon off. Might wanna cancel the rest of the winter "in case" it snows too.

• Radar
      January 27, 2012 - 15:49

The radar photo is from 2:40 PM. They knew it was moving slow and they knew it wasn't going to even start until school was out anyways. Unfortunately, RG, all these peoples sympathetic attitudes is why they take precautions.