Move afoot to rename Islander Day

Mike Carson

Moncton Miracles' Boubacar Coly fouls Summerside Storm Eric Gilchrese as teammate Jared Carter (44) looks on during National Basketball League of Canada action at the Moncton Coliseum Thursday night.

SUMMERSIDE - Fans of the Summerside Storm are being asked to support renaming Islander Day as Storm Day.

A few years ago, the Province designated the third Monday in February as Islander Day; a provincial holiday aimed at celebrating time with family.

Duncan Shaw, co-owner of the Summerside Storm, has now suggested that the day's name be changed to "Storm Day" with Island-wide activities capped off by a professional basketball game hosted by the Storm at Credit Union Place.

"It's just kind of a fun twist," Shaw said. "All of us as kids were looking forward to a storm day to get a day off school and go play outside. Everybody loves a storm day. It's just a fun twist on a mid-winter holiday. Now we can schedule that fun storm day we all looked forward to as kids."

The team has a game that day and Shaw credited Bill Schurman, a consultant with the team, with securing that date for the Storm's schedule.

"He was very focused on getting that day, that game so we could families out and have a lot of fun," Shaw said. "That's really the focus of the New Year's Eve game and the Islander Day game is making it into a family tradition that that is what you do on those holidays."

If this past New Year's Eve was any indication, the Storm has hit on a solid idea. More than 3,000 fans turned out to support the team on the holiday.

"We had a fantastic crowd," Shaw said. "We had a lot of people there that we hadn't seen before that were new to the game and that was very exciting to see. It was a great crowd.

We've done well, but you never sit back and sit on your laurels. You have to keep hustling because it is a competitive market out there for any entertainment dollars sports or otherwise. So you have to keep going and keep coming up with new things and keep working hard."

Shaw wants to involve the entire Island in Storm Day events, but he wasn't ready to release the details.

"We've got some things we're working on, I don't know if we're really ready to say yet what's on line," he said. "But we're really working on some things that would take in the whole Island. As much as the events happen in Summerside, it's an Island-wide focus for us as a market so it's a great day to get out a little broader than were able to do on a normal Thursday night game sort of thing."

Schurman said the idea is to make Islander Day more exciting.

"Islander Day has not been a definitive day for anybody," he said. "It's just kind of been a holiday and it's out there. But what is it? What do we celebrate? Everybody loves a storm day and obviously we have a professional basketball team now and the thought was to take the team across the province that day and do a number of activities that are fitness and health related in various communities and then highlight it with a game that would become a tradition, we hope, each and every February holiday. So let's call it Storm Day."

Supporters are being asked to fill out a suggestion form at Credit Union Place asking the Province to rename Islander Day.

"We started on New Year's Eve with a suggestion and people are signing those suggestion and they will be sent to the province and we'll see what takes place."

If it fails to get provincial approval, Summerside Mayor Basil Stewart could declare the day "Storm Day" in the City of Summerside, but the plan is to involve the entire province.

Organizations: Credit Union Place

Geographic location: Summerside, Iceland

Comments

Comments

• To JimmyJoeBob
    January 09, 2012 - 11:19

JimmyJoeBob, it seems to me that you are the only hillbilly here. You seem ignorant to the fact that just because people share a geographical location like PEI, it doesn't mean that they all think alike and act alike. I bet that you are an Islander who has moved away and now see yourself as superior because of it. Guess what? You are not the only Islander who has lived away and/or traveled the world. Thankfully, you are only one in a handful who feels superior because of it. This is typical of a small-minded person. I actually feel very sorry for you. It must be lonely up there on your pedestal with no friends because no one is good enough to breathe the same air as you are breathing. Ha!

• John
    January 09, 2012 - 10:43

While you all are quick to comment on Summerside and counsel, etc...re-read the third paragraph... "Duncan Shaw, co-owner of the Summerside Storm, has now suggested that the day's name be changed to "Storm Day"... This idea is from the owner of the basketball team, so crap on him if you don't like the idea

• Jill Macdonald
    January 09, 2012 - 09:15

Can we change Monday to Friday?

• Deryl Gallant
      January 10, 2012 - 07:50

"Can we change Monday to Friday?" ... that is the best comment here!!!

• Deryl Gallant
    January 08, 2012 - 20:03

This will never happen...it's a publicity stunt... what better way to get people talking about the Summerside Storm than to create such a ridiculous controversy.... you're all talking about the Storm now aren't you? lame

• negative
      January 09, 2012 - 07:16

this team does not need any more negatives --especially self inflicted ones --- THEY'L HAVE TO START PRINTING MORE FREE TICKETS TO COVER UP THIS AMAZING BLUNDER and summerside doesn't need another reason to be ridiculed

• Dundas Sue
    January 08, 2012 - 19:24

What if there is a blizzard on Storm Day! Its bound to cause great confusion. Why not Rocket Day. Or Thunder Day. Or Hockey Day. Or, hey, this is a good idea, "Family Activity Day"

• Ed Gallant
      January 09, 2012 - 08:10

If you call it "Storm Day" , It would confuse the heck out of school teachers who already get 27 "Storm Days" a year now

• Eddie Vedder
    January 08, 2012 - 19:09

Don't be dumb. Oh wait... Nevermind, it's way to late. Islanders are for the most part nice. Or perhaps you are all to simple minded to be anything other... Go ahead enjoy 'Storm Day'

• Laura
    January 08, 2012 - 18:52

It's called Islander Day, not Summerside Day! Coming from Wood Islands, I'm not going to celebrate a day for a basketball team 2 hours away! Why don't we call it Sea Glass Festival Day, PEI Rocket Day, Spend it with your Family Day? This is ridiculous!

• J.Q. Higgins
    January 08, 2012 - 18:48

If we are considering changing anything about this holiday we should change when it is. The holiday should be moved to the first Monday in August and still call it Islander day. As far as interfering with the Gold Cup "holiday" unless you work in town or for the gov'T it doesn't really apply. I t would so much more sense on many levels .

• Walace Cameron
    January 08, 2012 - 18:30

Does the phrase"shooting yourself in the foot" mean anything to the City of Summerside and the management of the Summerside Storm?

• guardianreader
    January 08, 2012 - 17:48

This is riduculious we shoudn't even have and Islander day. a funny thing the mayor dosent try to call it Summerside storm day

• Don't follow sports much
    January 08, 2012 - 17:25

Not being much of a sports fan, I fail to see how anyone would have the audicity to suggest a named holiday for all Islanders can be tied to a team that plays in one town. Let me see....nope. Can't recall a thing that team has done to make the Island a better place to live. Want to honor something? Make sure it is worthy. Want to be inclusive of all who call PEI home? Islander Day covers it. Or...we could call it That Monday Off In February so no one has their feelings hurt because, like me, they are from away. I love the name Islander Day and think that this was printed as an early April Fools Day joke

• Mrs. Mcgillicutty
    January 08, 2012 - 17:05

So you get a 1/2 a$$ed sports team here, which will fold in a few years btw, and you figure you can change a holiday's name......you're stupid enough to be two people.

• aaron jarvis
    January 08, 2012 - 16:51

Change APRIL FOOL'S DAY to ELECTION DAY

• Townie
    January 08, 2012 - 16:51

Fudel Dudel,

• Kyle
    January 08, 2012 - 16:24

Ooooookay buddy.

• Sport Fan
    January 08, 2012 - 16:15

You got to be kidding. This is typical of Summerside. Just keep giving out hundreds of free tickets to each game and giving false game attendance. The storm will hit soon enough when the team is bankrupt.

• Evil Genious
    January 08, 2012 - 15:01

We should name it Furby day in line with my greatness.

• David
    January 08, 2012 - 14:35

This is so stupid it barely even deserves a comment. What happens when the Storm leaves? Change the name to something else? The name of the holiday will have anew name every few years and no one will know what it is called eventually it will just become the February Holiday. As usual some crazy people in Summerside think the rest of the Island should follow them. If we take that approach then maybe every other island community should give a million dollars to con cert promoter who skips out with the money.

• ISLANDER
    January 08, 2012 - 14:21

To: The Storm, I think you need a new marketer! That is probably the dumbest idea I have ever heard and I am embarrassed for you.

• Tyler
    January 08, 2012 - 14:14

This is ridiculous. Basketball is not what I would consider a very popular sport in PEI or even Canada for that matter. Hockey is our sport but I don't even think naming a Holiday after the Rocket would be appropriate. This is a poor attempt at marketing a new basketball league to the public and I wont be surprised if it doesn't survive. To top it off "Storm Day" has to be the dumbest name for a Holiday I've ever heard. It sounds like we are getting the day off due to poor weather. It also tells people that Basketball is so important to us here that we name days after it. Simply untrue. Leave it as Islander Day, or name it after something relevant to our history and culture.

• Mary
    January 08, 2012 - 13:44

I AGREE with Jereme and others......"That is STUPID" Now I can understand why Summerside lost so much money to the Conceret fiasco from California..........not very BRIGHT decisions by Council......

• nitpicker
      January 08, 2012 - 18:10

remind me what decision did Summerside council made, I can't remember?

• Not a great use of article space
    January 08, 2012 - 13:31

The day is set aside as Islander Day and it is a good reminder that family time is important. Sorry, this is not such a great idea - with so many teams etc. it is hardly fair to single out any team this way. No, thank you - and I don't understand how the query got this far (to the public).

• Johnmacdonald
    January 08, 2012 - 12:49

Islander day ..sucks sounds like we are hillbillies

• JimmyJoeBob
      January 09, 2012 - 08:07

You are a bunch of hillbillies

• Kay
    January 08, 2012 - 12:35

I don't think it should be called "Storm Day". It is indeed Islander Day and it includes all Islanders this way. It may storm on that day but to me it will be Islander Day.

• Wilkins Micawber
    January 08, 2012 - 12:32

Forgive me for saying, but this is a really dumb idea. Islander Day is what the name says - a day for Islanders. The team and the City of Summerside had a chance to name the team the Island Storm or the P.E.I Storm along the lines of the P.E.I Rocket in an attempt to include the whole Island, but instead chose Summerside Storm. In a province this size, if you want the whole Island behind the team don't name it after one city. Also, the only reason this is being talked about is because some bright mind thought it would be a catchy name for a holiday in the middle of winter.

• Ray Mahar
      January 08, 2012 - 12:53

"Foolish Idea. The Storm will be gone in a year or so anyway. Summerside is Summerside: "Jock Town". The Island is Tignish to East Point. Islander Day includes Islanders at home and abroad. FORGET IT.

• Lou D
      January 08, 2012 - 14:58

Really??????? I'm sure if it were to change we could come up with a better name that's worthy of the name,,,as far as i'm concerned ,,i'm doubtful that this team will last on the island.........

• Lou D
      January 08, 2012 - 15:10

Really???????? If the name were to change ,ican think of names that would be more worthy of that honor...This is to honor islanders .not medicore basketball

• Dawn C.
    January 08, 2012 - 12:08

Wouldn't "Storm Day" on PEI sound kind of funny? I think it should be left as Island Day. The basketball team hasn't even been around that long, nor are they they great, why should they get a day named after them? The Rocket have been here much longer, but Charlottetown has never wanted to try to change Islander Day to "Rocket Day". It's a bit foolish if you ask me!

• wow
    January 08, 2012 - 12:06

That is the dumbest thing I've read since the last time I read The Guardian.

• Justine
    January 08, 2012 - 11:28

This is insane... leave Islander Day alone. This is an ISLAND Holiday not a sports team holiday.

• Lorne
    January 08, 2012 - 11:17

I always haul manure on that day if it is nice, why not call it manure day?

• bob Macdonald
    January 08, 2012 - 11:15

They certainly have a good marketing department. "Storm day" is rather catchy!

• Z
      January 08, 2012 - 14:11

As proud of an Islander as I am, it'd be a blatant lie to say I didn't like the sounds of Storm Day... good way to support our team and also because"storm days" are so frequent and entrenched in the island's culture. All we'd need then is see Doug Mckinney on the court some more. C'man Salarno!

• Resident Kane
    January 08, 2012 - 10:58

No, No, No. How many people on the island actually follow the Storm? None I talk to. Please don't label me as one as I am not a big fan of Basketball at all. It just doesn't speak for everyone. Not even close. One thing every Islander has in common is the fact that they are an Islander.

• DO YOU THINK
      January 08, 2012 - 15:06

Thanks to RESIDENT KANE for giving me some kiind of status here in PEI where I've been living for fifty-four years, where most of our children were born and raised, so do you suppose that qualifies me as an islander? Some say to me in loud exclamation: "Oh, you're not FROM here!" (makes me smile, anyway)

• Den
    January 08, 2012 - 10:57

That's one of the dumbest ideas I ever heard of. What's the purpose besides free advertising for the Storm?

• Neil
    January 08, 2012 - 10:49

I would be more interested in calling it, "Novice" day as my nephew has a hockey game that day and it will be way more exciting that watching "C" level basketball. Why waste your time

• Bren
    January 08, 2012 - 10:37

We will always be Islanders......we will not always have a storm team...bad idea!

• horrible idea
    January 08, 2012 - 10:33

Lets say no! Islander day is for all Islanders, not just people fan of a sport that may or may not last, lets not get stuck with a name of a holiday for want of a few!

• David
    January 08, 2012 - 10:32

Good idea, let's sell our holidays to companies and corporations. Christmas can be called Wal-Mart Day, Canada Day can be Maple Leaf Hot Dog Day and Halloween can become M & M Day.

• Proud Islander
    January 08, 2012 - 10:16

I think it should stay as islander day..

• Jeremy
    January 08, 2012 - 10:16

That's stupid...

• No thanks
    January 08, 2012 - 10:09

This would be a mistake. Let Basil and the gang call it what they want! A bunch of over privileged, entitled basketball players. This island is becoming a national joke!

• Veto
    January 08, 2012 - 09:46

talk about stupidity -not everyone cares about your funny little venture into basketball

• notfromhere
    January 08, 2012 - 09:33

As mush as I do not like the name Islander Day( what if someone is not an Islander- do they not get the day off ? )- should be called Family Day like everywhere else - but to rename it to promote a commercial venture like a basketball team disgusts me tremendously as it should everyone else with an inkling of a brain.

• Resident Kane
      January 08, 2012 - 16:39

Actually, Yukon calls it Heritage day, Manitoba it's Louis Riel Day, Nunavut/NWT/NFLD/NB/NS/BC do not have a holiday that day so really it's not the same everywhere. That is why it's called a provincial holiday. Not federal.

• Remember
      January 08, 2012 - 16:50

Just be reminded that NOT everyone gets the day off. Whether you are an Islander or not, if you are working AND in a institution that closes on that day, you will have the day off whether you are an Islander or not. And as far as calling it Family Day, what if a person doesn't have family?

• Trevor Leclerc
    January 08, 2012 - 09:28

I initially thought "How tacky" to propose such a change (naming a holiday after a sports team) but the rationale behind the choice works very well (if conveniently for the franchise team), and "Islander Day" has an preferential connotation that does not suggest a celebration of newcomers from Away. I could get used to calling it the "Storm Day" holiday.

• Loud
    January 08, 2012 - 09:27

Really?????? I'm sure if we have to change the name of family day there are probably more important subjects that could be named ,,i have my doubts about basketball lasting too long on the island anyway.