Shawn Murphy leaving politics

Shawn Murphy

Charlottetown MP Shawn Murphy is leaving politics. He announced today that he will not be a candidate in the next federal election.

"After 10 years and four elections, I have made a decision to begin a less intense phase of my life," Murphy said in a statement.

"There is no good time or no easy way to leave politics, but in my case I, after many discussions with my wife, came to the decision that the time for me to leave politics will be sooner rather than later," said Murphy.

"If I allowed my name to stand in the next election, I would, in fairness to the people of Charlottetown, have to be prepared to serve the full-term."

Murphy went on to say that he would be staying on in his role of MP for Charlottetown until the next federal election.

"There is no good time or no easy way to leave politics, but in my case I, after many discussions with my wife, came to the decision that the time for me to leave politics will be sooner rather than later." Charlottetown MP Shawn Murphy

"Given that we have a minority Parliament, the timing of the next election is uncertain," he said.

The executive of the Charlottetown Liberal Association has been informed of Murphy’s decision, but as of yet no decision has been taken on the timing of a nomination convention.

Murphy said he has made no plans for after the election.

“I have no idea when the next election will be so it is difficult for me to plan any future after politics.”

Organizations: Charlottetown Liberal Association

Geographic location: Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• David
    October 18, 2010 - 11:04

He is a good man and we'll miss him in Parliament. The current House of Commons under Harper is a joke - polarized, vindictive and highly partisan. Under Harper, we now have a record number of deaths in Afghanistan, the largest deficit in Canadian history, and scandal after scandal. I salute you Shawn Murphy!

• country boy
    October 14, 2010 - 08:38

Good luck Mr. M Murphy in your future en devours. Its difficult to serve the public with today's me first attitude. How can one respond to the public's needs when every individual wants different things? Public life is difficult, so, thank you for your contribution. I do hope that everyone will remain civil with their comments.

• Juke Streudel
    October 14, 2010 - 07:18

MYALIASISGORDON, I think you are right on this darn anonynous posting. Here you are, a well intentioned private citizen, I assume, with no political nor financial ties to Shawn Murphy nor Robert Ghiz and I can just tell from your writing that the quest for justice beats in your heart like a jackhammer.These bloggers..... and their ... their...words! Of all things...WORDS! Let's round them all up so the politicians can sue them. That would be something to be proud of. In his last public action, Shawn Murphy got the ball rolling. Let's finish the job off for our fallen hero. It is time to stand up and to protect the sensitivity of politicians from critical commentary on their public actions. Once and for all!!! Let's do it, MYALIASISGORDON, and let's do it for Shawn Murphy!

• michael j. gaudet
    October 13, 2010 - 19:25

Well! You sure weren't of any help when my brother(pat) asked for your help with the federal disability pension application process.No help for an Islander. Glad to see you are going. NO LOSS !

• Maps Onburt
    October 13, 2010 - 18:41

Now if only he'd take Wayne Easter with him.

• What did Islanders gain
    October 13, 2010 - 17:59

So what was your legacy, sir ?

• Tobias Gregson
    October 13, 2010 - 16:23

From what I understand a MP can collect a pension if they have served six years and have turned 55.

• MyAliasIsGordon
    October 13, 2010 - 16:00

Juke; Why is it that all your posts seem to dwell on the past. I'd say your jukebox has a broken record. It is probably the same vinylsided disc used by Milton Steed, Run Udown, Truthtime and Raven on this on other blogs. Perhaps Juke you, and your other aliases, should take Murphy's advice and identify yourself. We'll see then how certain you are about your statements!

• Matt
    October 13, 2010 - 13:54

Will Robert Ghiz run in his place? Who will lead the provincial Liberals in his place?

• Garth Staples
      October 13, 2010 - 16:51

I made this same prediction in 2008.

• UPEI Student
    October 13, 2010 - 13:34

woohoo! Now Wade MacLaughlan will leave UPEI and it will finally be turned back into an academic institution instead of a government-welfare-business operation! Huzuh! PS- Wade, Gail Shea is going to make sure you don't win the Charlottetown riding.

• Juke Streudel
    October 13, 2010 - 13:33

Very wise, Shawn. And no I won't join in on any anti-Ignatieff, pro-Harperite bashing of federal Liberals. No, I suspect it is Shawn's entanglements with the provincial Liberal machine that have led him to this decision. I voted for Shawn on all four occassions, even delivering flyers for him in at least two of those elections. But the world was shifting under Shawn's feet and he was starting to show his confusion. Last year Shawn interfered with the PEI Public Accounts Committee, attempting to help Ghiz prevent witnesses from appearing before the committee on PNP, the very issue we just saw played out yesterday in yet another chapter of Ghiz defiance to public accountability. Then Shawn basically lost control of himself with an attack against individual rights to free expression, even putting out a press release against anonymous posting on media websites and later suggesting defamation law suits against private citizens. That move was basically his last public action as MP. I remember Shawn mostly as intelligent, gracious, not too flashy, and hard working esp. on communications with constituents- town halls, socials, special events, many reports in the mail, etc. However, my vote was not going his way in the next election. And I know of many others who had come to see it the same way. If a federal election were held before the provincial one next fall, and it probably will, then Shawn would have faced a barrage of criticism about PNP and other actions of the Ghiz government. He would not have survived a referendum on his entitled hot shot brother Kevin and the arrogant and precocious young Premier. So why take the first big fall for these guys? And then, most recently, Shawn witnessed the surprise ( to many esp. all media) of Olive Crane overcoming the old PEI political back room status quo through sheer tenacity and skillful political organization, a result not supposed to happen, offcially, on PEI. If Ghiz loses next fall, then all is exposed on PNP and many, many other things and that is all there is to it. Better to be long gone by that time. Shawn has saved face and has gotten out of the way of other people's political battles. He will be remembered fondly by most Islanders into his old age. Good luck, Shawn.

• Paul
    October 13, 2010 - 13:20

.....so......just what is the pension for a 10 year stint as an MP? Anyone know, off the top of their heads? ........things that make you go "HMMM"

• BlahBlah
      October 13, 2010 - 15:28

MPs must serve for a minimum of 12 years before being eligible to begin receiving a pension for this work. Graham is leaving before being eligible. Therefore, your comment was uncalled for and petty. Next time, I might suggest, you do an internet search before displaying your ignorance to the world. Such information is on the public record.

• G.Leigh MacKay
    October 13, 2010 - 12:59

Sorry to have just learned of your decision to leave Federal Public Life. You were the main reason I chose to support the Liberal Party when I moved back to the Island for a few years back in 01. It was a real pleasure working on your campaigns, seeing the genuine interest, concern and dedication you brought to the table truly was inspirational. Perhaps you will consider moving into the Provincial forum where your leadership attributes would be and are, from what I can see from afar (Alberta) greatly needed. I wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavours and thank you for your service to our Country.

• Wayne Phelan
    October 13, 2010 - 12:54

Thanks for serving Islanders over the years Shawn. You will succeed in whatever comes next.

• Finally
    October 13, 2010 - 12:35

I'm glad to see this day come-The day he sat in the commons and said we should "hang Mulroney hang him from high"..etc etc..is the day I lost any respect I had for him. By the way Lawrence-you should follow his lead!