Come dine with P.E.I. on Monday

Brittany Reid

Producer excited about Island episodes of Come Dine With Me

Emma, Michael, David, Alison and Nancy, are contestants in Come Dine with Me Canada, the Prince Edward Island edition. The show was shot on the Island last August. It airs  Feb. 25 on W-Network.

Come Dine with Me Canada will begin airing its Prince Edward Island episodes Monday that showcase Islanders in an all-out food battle.

Five local foodies were chosen to go around to different people’s houses to eat dinner and judge who made the best dishes.

The most challenging part of picking the P.E.I. contestants? Trying to find five Islanders who didn’t know each other very well, said Amy Hosking, an executive producer of the show.

“We had to pick people that kind of knew each other.”

The W Network will air the P.E.I. episodes on Monday at 8:30 p.m. AST.

TO SEE PREVIEWS OF THE P.E.I. EPISODES, CLICK HERE

“We’ve done over 190 shows in Ontario, so it was refreshing to get out for a change,” said Hosking.

“The attitude was very different on set and the contestants were right into it; some people we’ve had before don’t even get excited.”

But not everything can go according to plan on set and there was some tension, said Hosking.

“There was a big divide between the Islanders and the folks from away. We have three people from off Island and two that were born here.”

When the crew was coming to the Island to film everything, almost all of them hadn’t even been on the Island before.

“One of our sound guys started planning a family trip as soon as he could,” she said. “I think this will be good for the rest of Canada to see the beauty of the Island.”

The variety of food will also be a surprise to Island viewers, but P.E.I. food will be showcased in the first episode.

“We had one person do Lebanese food and another did some dishes from Britain, there was a huge variety which is better then our normal shows,” said Hosking, ”and sometimes we even sneak some bites of the food.”

When Come Dine with Me Canada aired episodes from Edmonton, it received some of the highest ratings they’ve ever had. They’re hoping that P.E.I. will set a new record.

“We’re expecting good ratings for these episodes,” said Hosking. ”I’m so excited about them and these are the proudest shows I’ve ever done.”

The tension in the beginning didn’t last all week, as everyone only spent five days, a total of 20 hours, together.

“They became a family quickly,” she said. “It’s a dinner party, everyone is fighting over food. They have a sense of humour. After all, they are the only five people on the Island to be able to share this experience.”

The P.E.I. government provided $30,000 to assist in the production costs while the show was on the Island. The province also purchased $35,000 worth of advertising on the W-Network to supplement the marketing effort.

The same episodes will air again on Sunday, March 3 at 2:30 p.m. AST.

The P.E.I. shows will not only feature Island food, it will feature P.E.I. entertainment, said Hosking.

“One person had Kim Albert, a local singer at his dinner, and another one had Cynthia McLeod, a local fiddler. Those are acts of entertainment that we don’t normally see.”

Overall the experience was a lot of fun for the crew and the contestants. She expects Islanders will love the show and people from off the Island will get to see oyster shucking, fiddling and lobster.

“We want to show that they live on such a magnificent Island and we had such a great time.”

Organizations: Islanders, The W Network

Geographic location: Prince Edward Island, Canada, Ontario Britain Edmonton

Comments

Comments

• i loved it
    June 24, 2013 - 13:53

I loved it - I'm from Toronto and loved seeing a tiny slice of PEI - the CFA thing didn't bother me one bit, it happens everywhere there is a smaller insular community(s), it seems to me that it is just part of your culture. And by the way, the first thing I did this morning at work (after watching the 5 episodes yesterday) was go on to tripadvisor.ca and start looking at planning a trip to "the Island" for this summer!

March 05, 2013 - 15:52

Did this show do anything for positive tourism? I doubt it very much. And it made the CFA issue obvious to potential tourists from away who may rethink a trip here.If they didn't know about that underbelly of resentment that exists with some, then, they sure do now! I think the show is really backwards and stupid and did nothing positive for our island.

• choochy
      June 17, 2013 - 21:35

Really? I am watching the show now and it was a fun series with a good promotion shots of the island with a bit of cute splashes. It wasn't vulgar and had the sweetness that islanders have. I think it was good series and refreshing from the usual upper Canadian fare.

• Lynne FitzGerald
      June 25, 2013 - 19:24

I thought the PEI program I watched last week was excellent. It was really a breath of fresh air and so interesting to see the cottage the royals used. It was so refereshing to get outside and smell those sea breezes along with the gardens. I didn't mind the fact that one of the women pushed the CFA thing as you get that everywhere. I'm actually on line now looking for a PEI recipe. First time I've done that.

• Anne
    March 03, 2013 - 19:11

I just watch the last few shows of Come dine with PEI....and l have to wonder if Alison intentionally kept the scores low to help her along in winning! I really felt her behaviour was obnoxious!

• Anti- Nepotism
    February 27, 2013 - 10:23

If the Government is going to contribute to a capital enterprise to promote tourism...it should have a say in the representatives to deliver its message. The gal from Tyne Valley clearly spoke the truth on the culture of this Island in this comment..."if they were 'TRUE Islanders' I would have got a 10". What a sad statement to deliver to the rest if Canada...an embarrassment. The message sent o the world by this hick was...come give us your money...but do not stay here...you are not welcomed. Then they wonder why tourism is shrinking. This lady blew an excellent opportunity to provide a progressive positive image of PEI. I AM AN ISLANDER...ALL PEOPLE THAT LIVE HERE ARE EQUAL AND CONTRIBUTE...ENOUGH WITH THE NEPOTISM...PEOPLE SHOULD BE JUDGED FOR WHAT THEY KNOW...NOT WHO THEY KNOW...

• IBC
    February 26, 2013 - 16:26

Oh and btw....Matt Cameron you are so right....Loved your comment too....!!!!!!

• IBC
    February 26, 2013 - 16:23

I so agree with Dianne Walsh's & Absolutely Fabulous comments. Does it really matter where you were born??? and get off the Island to see how the rest of the world lives. The CFA comments on this show are sickening and giving the Island a bad name. If the government is trying to promote tourism, I'd say, stop the sarcasm and get rid of the attitude, it sucks...!!!!!!

• Dianne Walsh
    February 26, 2013 - 15:41

Some things never change. I was born and raised an Islander, and have noticed that anytime someone trys to promote the island it is always given a negative review.Maybe it is because you can`t come up with an idea yourselves,or maybe you should get of the island for awhile and see how the rest of the world lives, then you might appreciate what the Government of PEI is trying to do to keep a little island running with such a small population who wants it all.

• Absolutely Fabulous
    February 26, 2013 - 15:40

I don't agree with the majority of comments here. I thought the contestants were amazing and should be commended. This is not an "Extreme Culinary" type of competition. It's a means to showcase local food, local personalities and local scenery. $65,000 is not a lot to pay for the return something like this could mean for the Island. I laughed until tears came down my face. Stop growling about everything and give it up for 5 incredible Islanders - who the hell cares if they weren't all born here!

• Stephen
    February 26, 2013 - 11:04

Never heard of the show and will probably never see it either. The Province mights as well open the door and throw the money out it. Or perhaps more monney for MacKinley to be the bigshot in Florida or somewhere else everyone will ignore him. Poor excuse to represent PEI.

• Lynne FitzGerald
      July 22, 2013 - 17:14

Stephen , Why comment in a negative way about something you know nothing about. The rest of us love this program. The PEI version was my all time favourite!

• Matt Cameron
    February 25, 2013 - 20:05

Lovely way to represent islanders to potential tourists or possible transplants, have 2 idiots constantly using the stupid CFA term on the 3 people who moved to the island. Great use of $ just great.

• Diane Chabot
      February 26, 2013 - 09:05

Great show, didn't like the CFA comments as when I lived in PEI from 98 to 2009, I was often called a CFA - this show did not represent real Islanders, as a lotof people struggle to get by in PEI. I don't agree that PEI gov. should have paid for it.

• Interesting...
    February 25, 2013 - 15:47

The reality is, $65,000 is not a lot to spend on advertising. The question is, are the people a good representation of Island living...from first impressions, I would say one is. Whether this is a good use of acvertising dollars remains to be seen.

• Relax
    February 25, 2013 - 07:17

The show draws attention to the Island. The Island is up s$#t creek without tourism dollars. $65,000 for a half hour or hour long show that no doubt repeatedly refers to the Island is CHEAP publicity for a province very dependant upon tourism. If we can blow millions on a ridiculous highway project that wasn't needed, there is nothing wrong with a few bucks of publicity to keep up afloat.

• SEP
      February 25, 2013 - 13:46

It is CHEAP, but that doesn't mean value. maybe the tourism operators should get together and pay for some advertising. Most of the ones I know are closed up and down south, while the government pays for tourism advertising.

• Opportunity
      February 25, 2013 - 17:25

RELAX - I completely agree. It's actually 5 shows, each are 30 mins long! You people are just looking to complain about everything. If Prince Edward Island did nothing to promote tourism, you would be complaining about that too. Money spent on marketing in turn generates a return. This isn't the same as spending this money on a charity. If this show inspires (even) a handful of the thousands of viewers to come to PEI, there will be a bigger return than the initial investment.

• choochy
      June 17, 2013 - 21:40

I agree. The show's episodes are back to back for 2.5 hours. Where else would someone get that amount of exposure for that amount of time? Pretty clever, really...it is thinking outside the box. I hope you islanders see people are fascinated by your lifestyle and sweetness.

• Mary Adams
    February 25, 2013 - 05:57

YEAH we really need this, they would do better if they put that money to good use like feed our homeless. low income people or to help seniors get thier meds but goodness that wouldn't make us a MAGNIFICENT SLAND. . P.E.I. is turning out to be Tourist town so the goverment can't look after the rich and poor But then we already know they don't care about the little people. I got a real charge out the statement they had a hard time finding 5 people who didn't know each other, what a CROCK..

• UGH
    February 24, 2013 - 17:16

There are some people that assume we all love fiddling music and in some degree that has become a stereotype. And playing up the COME FROM AWAY angle does not do much for progress either.

February 24, 2013 - 15:48

Its a very monotonous stupid show. The British version was funny. The Canadian one is boring and not very entertaining imo. Whats next? Money put out to watch a show featuring paint drying?

• Bill Kays
    February 24, 2013 - 15:41

While it is amusing to watch, the only people laughing is the government officials that decided that this was a priority. They are laughing at us because we do not put our foot down and tell them that we are no longer going to put up with their (spending my grandkids future) mismanagent of our fiscal policies. None of the money that government spent on this will find its way to the poor on the Island. It MIGHT help restauranteurs or tourist operators but again, they are only a small portion of the Island and they do not need any more corporate welfare but poor Islanders do. Stop helping those that have (the rich or at least the employed) on the backs of the poor.

• Man Oh Man
    February 24, 2013 - 14:38

PEI govenment is living on borrowed dollars that our great great grandkids will be paying for though overtaxation and we spend $30,000 on a half hour tv show? I can think of at least 50 places that could truly benefit a lot of people on PEI for $30,000. We pay for cable and it is mostly ads, now we are also paying to have a show filmed here, then $35,000 worth of advertising too. How, may I ask, does this benefit Islanders? Tourism? They are shooting themselves in the pocket book with exhorbitant prices, now add HST and see what happens. Talk about welfare! Shame of the government of PEI for this waste.

• Unacceptable
    February 24, 2013 - 14:28

So it cost 65,000.00 sixty five thousand dollars of our borrowed money?..........So nice it was a fun experience for everyone involved. PEI cannot afford this crap!!!!! Hello!!!! funny eh?