Come Dine With Me Canada coming to P.E.I.

Wayne Thibodeau

The province is investing $35,000-$40,000 to help cover costs over and above the regulation production costs.

The Prince Edward Island government hopes a menu of hit TV shows will help deliver new customers to the Island province's doors in the weeks and months ahead.

Fresh on the heels of international exposure from Will and Kate in 2011 and Regis and Kelly in 2010, the W Network has announced its top-rated show Come Dine With Me Canada is coming to Prince Edward Island.

The P.E.I. government is investing $35,000 to $40,000 to help cover the costs of taking the show out of Toronto, where it is normally taped.

"Through this investment, an audience of more than a million viewers will get a taste of what Prince Edward Island has to offer as a premier tourism destination," Tourism Minister Robert Henderson said Tuesday.

"Not only is it the highest-rated show of its kind in Canada, the audience fits the key demographics we strive to reach when promoting our province."

Come Dine With Me Canada is a half-hour series that follows five strangers as they compete to throw the perfect dinner party for their fellow amateur chefs.

Each dinner party host is given one night to impress their party attendees and competitors with scrumptious food, sparkling décor and stimulating conversation.

At the end of the night, each diner rates the party.

The next night, it's another mouth-watering meal at another host's home, once again, the dinner-party marathoners rate the night.

At the end of the week, the top rated host or hostess wins the reward of $1,000 and bragging rights as the ‘host with the most'.

"I was reading the other day about Irish moss. I want somebody to make that. It's something different that we haven't seen," Amy Hosking, the show's producer

Amy Hosking, the show's producer, said she's never been to Prince Edward Island. She's excited to be heading to the Island for her first visit.

Come Dine With Me Canada is the highest-rated lifestyle show in Canada, averaging 1.4 million viewers every week.

"We really want to look at the local flavour and the people," said Hosking, who added she's a big fan of Stompin' Tom and the Island's red soil.

"I was reading the other day about Irish moss. I want somebody to make that. It's something different that we haven't seen."

To apply to be on the show, send an email to: comedinewithme@propertelevision.com or call, 1-866-598-2591.

It's open to anybody 19 years old or older who loves to entertain.

Producers from the show will meet 20 of the best candidates mid- February in P.E.I. That will then be dwindled down to either five or 10.

The show will be taped over the summer and will feature scenic shots from across the Island.

It will then air in the spring of 2013.

"Even if you aren't up to the challenge we all know someone who is a great host, pass the word on to them, they might be interested in competing," added Hosking.

Twitter.com/GuardianWayne

Geographic location: Canada, Prince Edward Island, Ontario East Coast Toronto

Comments

Comments

• Barbara Vermette
    March 03, 2013 - 19:12

I just watched the episode of Come Dine with Me Canada - that featured the cottage where royalty visits when on your Island. I couldn't help but notice that the episode was sponsored by the province, with an advertisement that mentioned some of the"Friendliest people". So - I just wanted to say that the BLONDE WINNER of that episode did NOT REPRESENT YOUR PROVINCE WELL.

• I live in PEI
    February 26, 2012 - 21:10

Too funny!! AMY, we don't make Irish Moss, it grow naturally in the ocean and is harvested. it is used to in some products.....like ice cream, used in make up....

• Soundguy
    January 17, 2012 - 21:14

I guarantee you most of that money will be spent on hotels, food and transportation for the cast and crew. So, it will actually go into the pockets of local PEI businesses, NOT the pockets of the producers of the show. It is a great investment in your community by your local government.

• SG
    January 12, 2012 - 13:23

I have to agree with " Wise Woman". How many Tourists or Travellers did Regis and Kelly bring to PEI following the Waterfront Broadcasts? How many Tourists or Travellers did Prince William and Kate bring to PEI following their visit? How many Travellers did the Discounted Air Fares bring to PEI? If Royalty, Celebrities and Discounts on Air Fares didn't increase the Tourism Numbers last year I doubt very much a Television Show like "Come Dine With Me" will increase PEI's Tourism numbers. Why not put the $35 to $40 thousand towards the Harbour Restoration? If there are reports on closures re: Shell Fish season again this year I doubt a the TV Show will do much to increase Tourism numbers or revenues.

• JUST WONDERING
    January 11, 2012 - 09:11

I watch that show all the time and it is funny. I am just wondering where they are going to find 5 strangers on PEI, lol? And I also hope they stay true to the show and don't wind up making it a commercial for PEI.

• Zak Baggans
    January 11, 2012 - 07:12

Someone needs to bring Ghost Adventures or Ghost Hunters here! Plenty of locations to explore and both shows always highlight the area they're investigating. ... or Property Virgins.

• Kerry M
    January 10, 2012 - 21:30

What about "Wife Swap or Big Brother I would be on a PEI Big Brother, I would love to be on a PEI Biggest Loser.

• Joe Blow
    January 10, 2012 - 17:46

I hope they don't cook mussels or lobster...sure they are regional, but five nights of mussels in a row will make us look pretty bad to the rest of Canada.

• Why
    January 10, 2012 - 14:27

Why is Tourism PEI spending money to bring a show to PEI that takes place in people's houses? Neither the UK version of the show or the current Canadian version promote the city or province in which the hosts live. Hopefully they will not also spend money to get Cash Cab to come to Charlottetown or Summerside. If they want a reality show here, should get Amazing Race.

• Wise Woman
      January 10, 2012 - 19:27

Dear Why...this is the best question EVER. Somebody must need food money and wants to get their face on national tv....somebody that is a friend of a friend in government. Stupid way to spend taxpayers'money. You ought to be ashamed. Give that money to the foodbank and put a picture in the Globe and Mail. That would get more coverage than this program

• Rural Resident
    January 10, 2012 - 14:25

Wonder if the funding will be coming out of the Rural Development funding?

• Lighten Up
      January 11, 2012 - 08:27

Come on people 'lighten up', it's a television show.....and it's fun....