Strike vote averted at East Isle Shipyard

Steve Sharratt

GEORGETOWN - A last-minute vote to initiate strike action at P.E.I.'s only shipyard has been averted but has left a wake of dissension with what union officials describe as a close vote.
The more than 100 workers at East Isle Shipyard were voting on whether to accept a new three-year contract from owners J.D. Irving or proceed with a strike.
Union president Frank Sweeney would not reveal the totals but said the tally among welders, electricians and other tradesmen was close.
"It's left mixed feelings for sure," he said following the vote Wednesday night
here.
"I personally would have preferred more from the company."
Irving offered a three per cent wage increase per year over the next three years and some small increases to the contributions towards the workers' Registered Retirement Savings Plan.
Shipyard workers do not have a pension plan through the Irving-owned operation that builds multimillion-dollar high-tech tugs for the world market - some now operating in the Panama Canal.

Geographic location: GEORGETOWN, Panama Canal

Comments

Comments

• zx6r
    July 08, 2010 - 15:26

wow 3% per year for 3yrs with out going to arbitration. I wish I had there negotiators in my union and I'm in the biggest one on the island. They should turn there heads and look at the big empty sawmill Irving owns as they pass it. Irving dosent mess around go on strike and they will move everything. They own lots of large ship yards.

• zx6r