An Alliston man is facing charges involving luring minors from Prince Edward Island through Facebook.
The Kings District RCMP said its initial investigation led to one victim, but it has resulted in three more victims being identified.
Const. Steven MacNeill wouldn’t say if the victims and the accused ever met in person, how old the victims were and whether they are boys or girls.
At least one of the alleged offences dates back two years, but the investigation didn’t start until earlier this year when a complaint was filed with the Kings District RCMP.
“I’ve been investigating the file for . . . months now, so it is a lengthy investigation, as is any sexual investigation,” MacNeill said.
The man is to appear in Georgetown Provincial Court in early November to face six charges of child luring and three charges for obtaining sexual services for consideration.
This investigation is ongoing.
Alliston is located in eastern Prince Edward Island, north of Murray River.
There is growing evidence of risk in the country's real estate markets as home prices have climbed faster than income and population growth, a report by Canada's federal housing agency says.
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. increased its risk rating for the national housing market on Wednesday to strong, from a moderate rating that it gave in July.
“We now see strong evidence of problematic conditions overall nationally,” CMHC's chief economist Bob Dugan said in a news release.
“This is fuelled by overvaluation - meaning house prices remain higher than the level of personal disposable income, population growth and other fundamentals would support. This overvaluation coupled with evidence of overbuilding in some centres means that growth in house prices will slow and housing starts are expected to moderate in 2017 and 2018.”
The agency also said it now sees moderate evidence of price acceleration. That occurs when home prices go up at a faster pace and is a possible sign of speculation.
Back in July, evidence of price acceleration was weak, the agency said.
CMHC is also predicting that home sales and the pace of new housing starts will decline next year before stabilizing in 2018.
CMHC CEO Evan Siddall said earlier this month that the housing agency would raise its risk rating to strong for the first time ever.
CMHC said there is strong evidence of problematic conditions in Vancouver, Calgary, Saskatoon, Regina, Toronto and Hamilton.
Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal and Quebec City show moderate evidence of such conditions, the…
Atlantic Lottery Corporation paid $14,000 for tickets to the Cavendish Beach Music Festival in 2014 and handed them out to government officials and political staffers – an expense the four Atlantic auditors general say was wrong.
As part of their joint audit into ALC, the four Atlantic auditors flagged numerous problems with the way expenses have been managed at the corporation.
Concerns were raised over missing receipts, a lack of prior approval for hospitality and entertainment expenses and no policy on the “appropriateness of alcohol as a corporate expense.”
“Atlantic Lottery Corporation’s travel, hospitality and board expenses are not managed with consideration for economy and transparency,” the auditors say in their joint audit report on ALC.
Among these expenses were concert tickets purchased in 2014 for the Cavendish Beach Music Festival in P.E.I. A total of 125 tickets were purchased on top of the 270 ALC already received that year for being a title sponsor.
The majority of those 125 tickets were distributed to Atlantic Lottery board members and executives, senior government and elected officials and political staff members from the four Atlantic provinces.
Atlantic Lotto has released the names of all recipients of ALC tickets to the Cavendish Beach Music Festival for the years 2013, 2015 and 2016. The list of recipients for 2014 - the year identified as problematic by the auditor general - was not released because Hurricane Arthur caused part of the event to be cancelled that year, and hosting records were not maintained, ALC says.…
Charlottetown police have searched École Francois-Buote following a bomb threat at the city school.
"There was nothing unusual or suspicious found in the building," said an email at 2:36 p.m. from Deputy Chief Gary McGuigan.
The bomb threat came in shortly after 11 a.m.
The French school, which has 324 students and about 40 children in daycare, was immediately evacuated.
A spokeswoman from the Education Department says all students and staff are safe.
Students were sent home. School buses were expected to leave the Hillsborough Centre at 1:30 p.m.
There have been no threats reported to any other P.E.I. schools.
The threat to Francoise Buote, a Kindergarten to Grade 12 school, came in through a fax to the Ottawa RCMP.
This threat is similar to the threats received Sept. 21 when all P.E.I. schools were evacuated.
Police believe the bomb threat is unfounded but note they have erred on the side of caution and will take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of students and staff.
Brad Samson, director of administrative and financial services with the French Language School Board, says the evacuation went smoothly.
Still, he is left shaking his head over a second evacuation in just over a month at Francois Buote due to a bomb threat.
“Where they are coming from and the reason behind them I really don’t understand,’’ says Samson.
“Are they disruptive? Yes. Are we better prepared? Yes.’’
More to come…
Kings District RCMP have arrested a 15-year-old Cornwall boy they suspect is responsible for several recent break and enter and thefts.
The teen was picked up while RCMP were responding to a complaint in Montague Tuesday involving suspicous behaviour. Police believe the youth is connected to several thefts from vehicles in Montague and a recent break and enter into a residence in Mount Stewart.
The youth was held in RCMP custody in Montague while the investigation continued throughout the day.
He is facing several multiple theft-related charges including break and enter into a residence after police recovered a large quantity of stolen goods. Some, but not all, of the recovered property has been identified by the owner and police are asking the public to contact them if they are missing items from their homes or vehicles.
The teen will appear in Georgetown court at a later date.