Green Party makes history in P.E.I. election

Jim Day

HAMPTON — The lean, green fighting machine has broken through.

For the first time, a Green Party candidate has been elected to the P.E.I. legislature.

And Peter Bevan-Baker, the leader of the Green Party of P.E.I., did so in decisive fashion.

The Hampton dentist stormed in with close to 55 per cent of the votes in District 17, ending Liberal cabinet minister Valerie Docherty's eight-year representation of Kellys Cross-Cumberland constituents.

Supporters packed Monday night into Bites Cafe in Hampton erupted into hoots and cheers as Bevan-Baker cruised to victory taking 2,077 votes to second place Docherty's 1,046.

"It's fantastic,'' said Peter Lanthier, husband of Green Party candidate Darcie Lanthier.

"It's what we wanted.''

Lanthier says Bevan-Baker resonated with voters because of his honesty and sincerity.

"He's just a vibrant person who cares,'' said Lanthier.

"He has concern for everybody.''

The victory marks 23 years of campaigning as a Green Party candidate, including Bevan-Baker's third straight provincial campaign in P.E.I.

"I can't tell you how thrilling this is to be surrounded by the people we have here,'' he said.

"It's just extraordinary.''

He believes his impact as a one-MLA party will depend on the chemistry of the legislature.

"I will use every opportunity that I have to put forward what I believe to be crucial issues that perhaps have not had the level of importance put on them with previous legislations,'' said Bevan-Baker.

Offering congratulations through the media to Wade MacLauchlan for retaining his premiership, Bevan-Baker said he looks forward to continuing the collaboration shown between the two leaders in debates.

"Wade and I have a very good relationship,'' he said.

"I imagine that we will be able to work together.''

Bevan-Baker plans to promote a local food security act in the legislature as well as pushing for proportional representation and even lowering the voting age to 16.

Green Party of Canada leader and federal MP Elizabeth May, who came to P.E.I. Friday to rally for Bevan-Baker, applauded his victory.

"Peter brought forward original and innovative policies, campaigned with honesty and engaged PEI voters on issues that matter,'' May said in a statement.

"I know he will bring the same commitment to his constituents in his role as MLA for District 17.''

Bevan-Baker says Docherty did not do herself any favours in some of her decisions and behavior over the last few years as a cabinet minister.

Docherty, who served as minister of Community Services and Seniors, carried into the election campaign heavy criticism over the $5 million that went unspent in her department last year.

Still, Docherty was surprised by the outcome.

"It certainly wasn't what I was hearing at the's disappointing in I wasn't done,'' she said.

"I had a lot to give.''

She wishes Bevan-Baker well.

Organizations: Green Party

Geographic location: P.E.I., Hampton

• M.E. Campbell
    May 06, 2015 - 14:43

I wonder if Mr. Bevan-Baker will put as much effort into serving his constituents as he did into getting elected.

• Janet Arsenault
      September 08, 2015 - 20:25

I would expect that you would wonder that about all the candidates, not just Dr. Bevan-Baker. His campaign certainly didn't waste the huge dollar amounts the other parties did. They all need to represent their constituents. Not just the Greens. Although truthfully, it seems only the Greens are prepared to do so.

• James Petrie
    May 05, 2015 - 14:06

Wonderful, P.E.I. The conservatives and the liberals are totally corrupt so the votes that elected in GRN were the only ones that counted for bring real Freedom by a show of defiance to total corruption. Good Luck: James Petrie Advanced PrivateInvestigations PS: I have documents detailing some of the corruption that will help you gain more ground in all future elections against the two mainline parties. Please have someone call me 919 795 8910 to make arrangements to get them to you.

May 05, 2015 - 08:03

Congratulations Mr. Bevan Baker , a real milestone in Island politics , and I believe a great contribution to all Islanders . However I believe the best story of the night is Jordan Brown denying Lantz a seat in the house !!! I know Jordan was the most qualified to win this seat and expect great things from him , none of that Tory negativity and back stabbing .

• Stephanie
    May 05, 2015 - 06:36

Docherty was surprised by the outcome??? She wasn't done and had a lot to give??? So why didn't she give the $5 million from her department last year to community services and seniors? I'm glad the Green Party finally got a foothold this year.

• ... not to mention her stance on Plan B
      May 05, 2015 - 07:43

Peter got arrested for doing the right thing when it came to Plan B ... Docherty SHOULD have been arrested for all the things she did while being an MLA! Congrats to Peter ... very cool!

• Sarah
    May 04, 2015 - 22:20

Well deserved win for a man with integrity. Looking forward to hearing him speak in Province House.

• Julie Barker
    May 04, 2015 - 22:19

Congratulations to Peter Bevan-Baker and all his Green Party supporters! Quality of leadership, policies and Green Party values have won a true majority of votes in your riding in spite of an unfair voting system. Many, many thanks for your inspiration! Julie Barker, Simcoe-North, Ontario

• Will Brown from Maine
    May 04, 2015 - 22:09

Congratulations to the PEI Greens and to Peter. A great day for ALL of the island, and the start of a new chapter in its stewardship and care. Best to all from the southern-most province.

• Tracy Chant
    May 04, 2015 - 21:15

Congratulations Peter! We miss you in Ontario.

• Norm Fin;ayson
    May 04, 2015 - 21:05

A breath of fresh air

• jim
    May 04, 2015 - 20:22

So happy to see Peter Bevan Baker win . Hopefully this may start a trend for the better in this province.