Manitoba moves ahead with 2nd outlet on Lake Manitoba it hopes eases flooding

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

TWIN LAKES BEACH, Man. - Manitoba is moving ahead with the construction of a second outlet on Lake Manitoba that will ease flooding in the region.

Emergency Measures Minister Steve Ashton says the construction of a new outlet will cost at least $300 million.

He says the province is hoping Ottawa will pick up at least some of that tab.

The floodwater pouring into Manitoba from Saskatchewan over the past week ends up eventually in Lake Manitoba or Lake Winnipeg.

Ashton says Lake Manitoba is already at flood levels and is being whipped up by high winds.

Manitoba spent $100 million after the 2011 flood carving out an outlet that drains water from Lake Manitoba into Lake Winnipeg.

Manitoba is expecting a second crest of floodwater to move through the southern region this week as the province starts to focus on recovery.

The second crest has moved through Brandon and is expected to hit Portage La Prairie as early as Tuesday. Emergency officials say the current protection put in place last week is expected to handle the floodwater.

The province and the military will continue to vigilantly monitor the dikes along the swollen Assiniboine River to pinpoint weak spots or potential breaches, Ashton said.

The province has set up mobile recovery centres in some of the worst-hit areas and officials expect this flood will cost millions in damages to municipal roads and bridges.

Geographic location: Manitoba, Lake Manitoba, Lake Winnipeg TWIN LAKES Ottawa Saskatchewan Brandon Portage La Prairie Assiniboine River

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments